|Founded||September 11, 1890, as the Opelika Industrial News|
The newspaper began as the weekly Opelika Industrial News, on September 11, 1890.
On May 30, 1904, the newspaper began publication as the Opelika Daily News.
In 1968, Millard B. Grimes and investors purchased the paper, changing its name to the Opelika-Auburn News in 1969, and then selling it in 1977. It was owned by the Thomson Corporation until 2000, when it was sold to Media General.
In 1995, the News was awarded "Most Improved Daily Newspaper" by the Alabama Press Association and that year the parent company purchased the competing Auburn Bulletin and Lee County Eagle.
|2018||Best Editorial||1st||Troy Turner|
|2018||Best Human Interest Column||1st||Troy Turner|
|2018||Best News Photo||1st||Todd Van Emst|
|2018||Best One Time Special Section - Newsprint or Glossy||1st||Opelika-Auburn News|
|2018||Creative Use of Multimedia||1st||Opelika-Auburn News|
- "About Opelika industrial news. [volume] (Opelika, Ala.) 1890-1904". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- "About Opelika daily news. [volume] (Opelika, Ala.) 1904-1969". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- Opelika daily news. (Newspaper, 1904). [WorldCat.org]. OCLC 12260034.
- Grimes, Millard B. (1985). The Last Linotype: The Story of Georgia and Its Newspapers Since World War II - Millard B. Grimes - Google Books. ISBN 9780865541900. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- Roberts, Gene; Kunkel, Thomas; Layton, Charles, eds. (2001). Leaving Readers Behind: The Age of Corporate Newspapering. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press. ISBN 1610752325.
- Leaving Readers Behind. University of Arkansas Press. 2001. p. 51. ISBN 9781610752329.
- Flynt, Wayne (2 September 2011). Keeping the Faith: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Lives - Wayne Flynt - Google Books. ISBN 9780817317546. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "Media General completes sale of Opelika-Auburn News". Oanow.com. 2012-06-25. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- Langan, Jaclyn. "APA Better Newspaper Contest Award Winners Announced" (PDF). Alabama Press Association. Retrieved 13 July 2018.