One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)
"One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)" is a song written and recorded by Bob Dylan. It is the fourth track on his 1966 album Blonde on Blonde, and was released as the album's first single that February. The song is an emotional confession of misconnects and apologies from the singer to a woman who has tragically slipped out of his life. As a single, it peaked at No. 33 in the UK Singles Chart, but only reached No. 119 on US Billboard's Bubbling Under chart.
|"One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)"|
|Single by Bob Dylan|
|from the album Blonde on Blonde|
|B-side||"Queen Jane Approximately"|
|Released||February 14, 1966|
|Recorded||January 25, 1966|
|Bob Dylan singles chronology|
|Blonde on Blonde track listing|
Musically, the track is typical of the album: a treble single coil guitar adds a base to the song with the acoustic and bass while organs and pianos take the lead in forming the song. Jazz style drumming is used effectively. According to Rolling Stone, it took nine hours and 24 takes to complete the song.
An outtake of the song appeared on The Bootleg Series Vol. 12: The Cutting Edge 1965–1966, while the deluxe version of the album included multiple other versions of the song. According to Dylan's official website, as of 2018 Dylan has performed "One of Us Must Know" 60 times in concert, with all performances occurring between 1976 and 1997.
English singer-songwriter Mick Hucknall covered the song on the 2012 charity compilation album Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan Honoring 50 Years of Amnesty International. Old Crow Medicine Show covered the song on their live Dylan tribute album, 50 Years of Blonde on Blonde.
- "One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later) | The Official Bob Dylan Site". www.bobdylan.com. Retrieved 2019-05-23.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 174. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Paul Griffin". Steelydan.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "100 Greatest Bob Dylan Songs". Rolling Stone. 2016-05-24. Retrieved 2019-05-23.
- "If Your Memory Serves You Well - Les Fradkin | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. 2006-07-19. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Old Crow Medicine Show: 50 Years of Blonde on Blonde". Relix Media. 2017-07-12. Retrieved 2019-05-23.
|This 1960s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1960s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|