Ojuelegba (Wizkid song)
"Ojuelegba" is a song by Nigerian recording artist Wizkid from his self-titled second studio album, Ayo (2014). It was written by Wizkid and produced by the record producing duo Legendury Beatz. The song shares its title with the metropolitan subsection of Lagos Mainland. It highlights Wizkid's struggles as an underground artist, who roamed the streets of Ojuelegba to support his recording interest. The song received numerous airplay on all major radio stations in Nigeria, and peaked at number 1 on Capital Xtra's Afrobeats Chart for February 2015. The official remix of "Ojuelegba" features vocals from Canadian rapper Drake and English grime artist Skepta. It made its premiere on OVO Sound Radio in July 2015. The song was ranked number 12 on the list of the 107 Best Songs of 2015 compiled by The Fader magazine. Prior to the release of the official remix, Ghanaian rapper Sarkodie released his rendition of "Ojuelegba".
|Song by Wizkid|
|from the album Ayo|
The accompanying music video for "Ojuelegba" was directed by Clarence Peters, and uploaded onto YouTube on January 5, 2015. The video features a scene of a bus conductor calling out to passengers to board his vehicle to Ojuelegba. Wizkid is seen boarding the bus. B-roll scenes of Ayilara and Itire roads were also included in the cut. The video depicts the dramatic and realistic perspective of community life in Ojuelegba. It also story-lines Wizkid's upbringing in the town of Ojuelegba, and highlights the singer's journey from grass to grace. Moreover, the music video portrays the message of goodwill and family support needed to ascend during times of hardship.
Critical reception to the music video was mixed. Joey Akan of Pulse Nigeria said the video is not a true representation of the song because it lacks inspiration. On the contrary, Joda Afolabi of Nigerian Entertainment Today commended Clarence Peters for shooting the video and said it "depicts a thorough and true reflection of what the song preaches." Bukola Adegunle of Royal Times gave the video 3 out of 5 stars, adding: "creativity was displayed, which gave meaning to the video. The scenes were well arranged, and there was a great link in all the scenes." Jim Donnett and Jimmy King both gave the video a 3.8 rating, stating that its simplistic factor stood out.
|Year||Awards ceremony||Award description(s)||Results|
|2015||The Headies||Song of the Year||Won|
|Best Pop Single||Nominated|
|Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Hottest Single of the Year||Won|
- Song credits
- Writing - Ayodeji Balogun
- Production - Legendury Beatz
- Video credits
- Director - Clarence Peters
- Afolabi, Joda (7 January 2015). "Wizkid and Clarence Peters soar high in 'Ojuelegba'." Nigerian Entertainment Today. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Afrobeats Chart: Top 10 (February 2015)". Capital Xtra. 6 February 2015. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Wizkid - Ojuelegba (Remix) Feat. Drake & Skepta [New Song]". Danny Schwartz. HotNewHipHop. 11 July 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-15.
- "The 107 Best Songs Of 2015". The FADER. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Sarkodie – "Ojuelegba" (Refix)". TooXclusive. 8 March 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "Wizkid Releases The Visuals For 'Ojuelegba'". Okay Africa. 6 January 2015. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "New Track: Wizkid - Ojuelegba". Mobo. 24 February 2015. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Akan, Joey (6 January 2015). "Wizkid's 'Ojuelegba' video is a lesson in nonchalance". Pulse. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Wizkid's new "Ojuelegba" video review". Royal Times. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Donnett, Jim (10 January 2015). "TX Review: Wizkid – Ojuelegba + Banky W – Mercy (VIDEO)". Tooxclusive. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "REVIEW: Wizkid UK Tour 2014". The Africa Channel. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Abulude, Samuel (6 January 2016). "Olamide, Timi Dakolo, YCee Win Big At HEADIES 2015". Leadership Newspaper. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "List Of Winners At 2015 Nigerian Entertainment Awards". The Daily Independent. 7 September 2015. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- on YouTube