Legendury Beatz (pronounced Legen-dury Beat-z) is a Nigerian record producing and songwriting duo, composed of siblings Uzezi Oniko (born 17 February 1986) and Okiemute Oniko (born 27 May 1989). Their production style is deeply rooted in afrobeats as well as in several other genres, including hip hop, reggae fusion, moombahton and electro house.
Okiemute (left) and Uzezi (right)
|Occupation(s)||Record producers, songwriters|
|Instruments||sampler, drums, synthesizer|
With less than a year as a music production duo, Legendury Beatz made international headlines in the Nigerian recording industry by producing the critically acclaimed single "Azonto", which was performed by afrobeats recording artist and MOBO Award winner Wizkid.
Throughout their career, they have been noted for their extensive work with Wizkid. They have also been noted for writing and producing consecutive string of hits. The duo have produced many songs with vocal contribution from artistes such as American rapper Wale, British rappers Tinie Tempah and Yxng Bane, Urbano Latino artists Bad Bunny and J Balvin, 2face, Ice Prince, Efya, Banky W, Seyi Shay and Chidinma, amongst others.
Early Life and careerEdit
Formation and early worksEdit
With no initial music industry contacts, connections or recording studio, the duo's production followed a simple system in which they created beats channeled to a certain artist for whom they scouted for in clubs, award shows etc. The system yielded little success until they met Weird MC, a female rapper, songwriter and producer who heard their content in 2009. They created the singles "Happy Day" and "Moving Up" for her, and also created an album with her that is yet to be released.
In 2011, the duo produced "Ara", the lead single from Brymo's second studio album The Son of a Kapenta (2012). The song won Best Recording of the Year at The Headies 2012. Furthermore, the music video for the song won Best African Pop at the 2012 Channel O Music Video Awards. The duo produced the song "Ko Ma Roll" for MTV Africa Music Awards winner Mo'Cheddah.
In 2012, the duo produced "Baddest Boy", the lead single from Empire Mates Entertainment's compilation album Empire Mates State of Mind (2012). Legendury Beatz also produced the song "Emi Ni Baller" for Kora Awards winner Chidinma. The song broke a record for Chidinma, as she became the first female musician to peak at number 1 on the MTV Base Official Naija Top 10 chart. Legendury Beatz produced the song “Drop” with vocal contributions from American rapper Wale and Wizkid.
In 2013, the duo produced the song "Caro", which was included as a bonus on Wizkid's second studio album Ayo (2014). In 2014, the duo produced "That Could Be Us" for Nigerian rapper Ice Prince. They also worked with other notable African artists, including Banky W, Seyi Shay and Efya.
Production work and record dealEdit
Legendury Beatz and Wizkid's production catalog include songs like "Ginger", "Caro", "Talk", "Eledumare", "Number One Lover", Won Gbo Mi", "Juru" and "Emi Ni Baller" (Remix). On 29 April 2013, Legendury Beatz were signed to Wizkid's Starboy Entertainment. The duo produced four songs on his second studio album Ayo. The song "Ojuelegba" was well-received across different social media platforms. It contributed to the overall success of the album, which received a positive review from Rolling Stone magazine. Wizkid added contributing vocals to the duo's first single "Oje". Legendury Beatz and Simi collaborated on "Ayo", the third single from her third studio album Omo Charlie Champagne, Vol. 1 (2019).
Influences and styleEdit
Okiemute and Uzezi's production style is highly influenced by afrobeats, fuji, and all variations of Congolese music from African icons such as Fela Kuti, Lagbaja, Awilo Longomba and Angélique Kidjo. The duo also had an ear for hip hop, pop and contemporary R&B genres.
- DJ Spinall Presents: Legendury Beatz Greatest Hits (2014)
- Singles produced
|"Azonto" by Wizkid||2012||N/A|
|"2Musshh" by Reminisce||Book of Rap Stories|
|"Baddest Boy" by E.M.E (featuring Wizkid, Skales and Banky W.)||Empire Mates State of Mind|
|"I Love You (Afurum Gi N’ anya)" by Shiikane||N/A|
|"Emi Ni Baller" by Chidinma (featuring Tha Suspect and Illbliss)||TBA|
|"Koma Roll" (Remix) by Tillaman (featuring Iyanya, Burna Boy, Ice Prince, Phyno and Trigga Madtonic)||2013||N/A|
|"Denge Pose" by Skales|
|"Take Care of Me" by Skales|
|"Juru" by Wizkid||DJ Xclusive Presents: |
The Xclusive Wizkid Mixtape
|"Packaging" by Tillaman||N/A|
|"Talk" by Wizkid|
|"M.I.A (Money In Abundance)" by Tesh Carter (featuring That Suspect)|
|"Murda Dem" (Remix) by Phenom (featuring Wizkid)|
|"Sewere" by Weird MC (featuring Sasha P, Mo'Cheddah and DrPat)|
|"Drop" by Wizkid (featuring Wale)|
|"Kokose" by Sound Sultan (featuring Wizkid)||Me, My Mouth & Eye|
|"Caro" by Starboy (featuring Wizkid and L.A.X)||Ayo|
|"Ur Level" by Big Mo||N/A|
|"Won Gbo Mi" by Shaydee (featuring Wizkid)|
|"Eledumare" by Wizkid|
|"Number One Lover" by Starboy (featuring Wizkid and Shaydee)||2014|
|"Ginger" by L.A.X (featuring Wizkid)|
|"Ibadi" by May D|
|"Oje" by Legendury Beatz (featuring Wizkid)|
|"Oh! Baby" by Legendury Beatz (featuring Wizkid and Efya)|
|"Crazy" by Seyi Shay (featuring Wizkid)||TBA|
|"That Could Be Us" by Ice Prince||N/A|
|"Potential" (Freestyle) by Shaydee|
- Other production
|Skales & Niyola||2012||Empire Mates State of Mind||
|Phenom||2014||The B.R.A EP||
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2013||The Headies 2013||Producer of the Year||Legendury Beatz for "Emi Ni Baller"||Nominated|
|2014||The Headies 2014||Legendury Beatz for "Caro"||Nominated|
|2015||The Headies 2015||Legendury Beatz for "Ojuelegba"||Won|
- "Wizkid adds Legendury Beatz to Star Boy Entertainment". Premium Times Nigeria. 29 April 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Legendury Beatz Bio". Notjustok. 29 April 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Legendury Beatz Bio". Afrobios. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "Wizkid Azonto produced by wizkid". Notjustok.
- "Legendury Beatz Discography". Notjustok.
- "Weird MC - Museke African artistes". Archived from the original on 2009-08-27. Retrieved 2015-01-16.
- "legendury Beatz produce brymo's Ara amongst others". Jaguda. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Headies past winners". The Headies. Archived from the original on 6 October 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Empire Mates Entertainment-Home". Empire Mates Entertainment. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- Donboye (14 September 2014). "Chidinma Emi ni baller ft the suspect and illbliss". Too Xclusive. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- Njoku, Benjamin (7 September 2013). "Chidinma becomes first female act to make MTV's Naija top 10". Vanguard. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Goddard, Kevin (29 July 2013). "Wizkid - Drop Feat. Wale". Hot New Hip Hop. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- "Still ICE Forever! God bless the Fans and Supporters with us on the new records". Ice prince. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- Bey, Audu. "Wizkid 'Eledumare'". Okay Africa. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Morgan, Femi (29 June 2013). "Wizkid reveals album tracklist". DStv. Archived from the original on 6 March 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "15 Great Albums you didn't hear in 2014". Rollingstone Magazine. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- Adekoya, Adetola (22 January 2013). "Legendury beatz drops Oje ft Wizkid". Mtvbase. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Ayo". Premiumlite.