This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Oenology (enology; // ee-NOL-o-jee) is the science and study of wine and winemaking. It is distinct from viticulture, which is concerned with the cultivation and harvest of grapes. The English word oenology derives from the word oinos, "wine" (οἶνος) and the suffix –logia, "study of" (-λογία) from the Ancient Greek language. An oenologist is an expert in the field of oenology. Oenology and viticulture are commonly taught together, thus covering all outdoor and indoor aspects of wine and winemaking.
Education and trainingEdit
An increasing number of schools offer degree-granting programs in oenology and viticulture. Most of these offer it as a major concentration for a Bachelor of Science (B.S, B.Sc., Sc.B) degree or offer it as a terminal master's degree—either in scientific or research-oriented program culminating in a Master of Science (M.S., Sc.M.) degree, or a professional degree, like Cornell University's master of professional studies. Oenologists and viticulturalists who hold doctoral degrees often have earned them in related fields, including horticulture, plant physiology, or microbiology. Related nonacademic titles including sommelier and master of wine certifications are more oriented toward commercial occupations in the restaurant or hospitality management industry.
Oenologists often work as winemakers or find employment with commercial laboratories or with groups such as the Australian Wine Research Institute.
Schools in Australia tend to offer a "bachelor of viticulture" or "master of viticulture" degree.
- Charles Sturt University - Wagga Wagga, New South Wales
- Curtin University of Technology - Perth, Western Australia
- Melbourne Polytechnic/La Trobe University - Melbourne Australia
- Queensland College of Wine Tourism - Stanthorpe, Queensland
- University of Adelaide - Adelaide, South Australia
- Federal Institute of Rio Grande do Sul - Bento Gonçalves, Porto Alegre, Feliz, Sertão, Canoas, Porto Alegre-Restinga, Caxias do Sul, Osório, Erechim, and Rio Grande
- Federal University of Pampa - Dom Pedrito Campus, Rio Grande do Sul
- Brock University - St. Catharines, Ontario
Official National Diploma of Oenology:
- Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse - Toulouse
- Jules Guyot Institute - Dijon
- University of Bordeaux - Bordeaux
- University of Montpellier I - Montpellier
- University of Reims - Reims
Other wine diplomas:
- Università Cattolica  - International Vintage Master - Piacenza 
- University of Verona - Verona
- University of Padua - Padua
- University of Perugia - Perugia
- University of Salento - Lecce
- University of Udine - Udine
- University of Palermo - Marsala
- Eastern Institute of Technology - Hawke's Bay
- Lincoln University - Christchurch
- University of Auckland- Auckland
- Universidad Privada San Juan Bautista - Ingeniería en Enología y Viticultura - Lima, Ica, Chincha
- Universidade do Porto - Porto
- University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro - Vila Real
- Universidade de Évora - Évora
- University of Stellenbosch - Stellenbosch
- Changins - Nyon
- National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine - Kyiv
- National University of Food Technologies - Kyiv
- Odessa National Academy of Food Technologies - Odessa
- Allan Hancock College - Santa Maria, California
- California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo, California
- Colorado State University - Fort Collins, Colorado
- Cornell University - Ithaca and Geneva, New York
- Finger Lakes Community College - Canandaigua and Geneva, New York
- Fresno State University - Fresno, California
- Grayson College - Grayson, Texas
- Kent State - Kent, Ohio
- Miami University - Oxford, Ohio
- Napa Valley College - Napa, California
- Oregon State University - Corvallis, Oregon
- Patrick Henry Community College - Henry County, Virginia
- Paul Smith's College - Paul Smiths, New York
- Sonoma State University - Sonoma, California
- Surry Community College - Dobson, North Carolina
- University of California, Davis - Davis, California
- University of Missouri - Columbia, Missouri
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) - Blacksburg, Virginia
- Washington State University - Pullman, Washington
- Yavapai College - Clarkdale, Arizona
- "oenology". Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
- "oenology". Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House.
- Huval, Rebecca (14 June 2019). "What can I do with my viticulture and enology major?". University of California, Davis. Retrieved 11 April 2021.
Viticulture is the study of grape cultivation, while enology is the study of wine and winemaking.
- "Geisenheim Degree courses".
- "MSc in Viticulture and Oenology".
- "3-year degree course Viticulture and Oenology". uniud.it.
- "Bachelor Degree (BSc Hons) Viticulture and Oenology". Plumpton College. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
|Look up oenology in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Website of the Œnology and Viticulture department of the University of California at Davis
- Oenologist.com - online resource about wine and professionals in the wine industry
- VinoEnology.com - online wine-making calculators and resource about wine and professionals in the wine industry
- Glossary of Terms for Enology, Viticulture and Winemaking[permanent dead link], CCwinegroup.com, 2009 (PDF)