O'Shea Jackson Jr.
O'Shea Jackson Jr. (born February 24, 1991), also known by his stage name OMG, is an American actor and rapper. He is the oldest son of rapper Ice Cube, and portrayed his father in the 2015 biopic Straight Outta Compton, which was his feature film debut.
O'Shea Jackson Jr.
Jackson at the 2018 San Diego Comic-Con
O’Shea Jackson Jr.
February 24, 1991
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Southern California|
|Associated acts||Ice Cube|
Early life and educationEdit
Jackson was born in Los Angeles, California, to O'Shea Jackson Sr, better known as Ice Cube, and Kimberly Woodruff. Jackson was raised in the San Fernando Valley, and is the first child of four. He has two younger brothers, Darrell and Shareef, and a younger sister, Kareema. Darrell is also a rapper under the name Doughboy, which is the nickname of the character his father portrayed in his first film, Boyz n the Hood. Jackson attended William Howard Taft High School in Woodland Hills, California, from which he graduated in 2009. His father also attended Taft High School, but unlike his father, Jackson was not bussed nearly 40 miles home after classes. Jackson graduated from the University of Southern California, where he studied screenwriting.
In June 2014, it was announced that Jackson had been cast to portray his father, Ice Cube, in Straight Outta Compton, a biographical film about N.W.A. The film was released on August 14, 2015, to positive reviews. Jackson is noted for his physical resemblance to his father, which Ice Cube described as "spot on". "He was born to play the part," he told Jimmy Kimmel in October 2014.
In 2017, Jackson played Dan Pinto, the Batman-obsessed aspiring screenwriter, landlord and love interest of Aubrey Plaza's character Ingrid Thorburn in the film Ingrid Goes West, with many critics—including the Los Angeles Times, Vulture and Collider—commenting on his scene-stealing abilities. In 2018, Jackson starred in the film Den of Thieves, which also included 50 Cent and Gerard Butler.
In 2010, Jackson and his brother Darrell were featured on the songs "She Couldn't Make It On Her Own" and "Y'all Know How I Am", from their father's album I Am the West.
In March 2012, Jackson, under the name OMG, released his first mixtape, Jackin' for Beats, online. Jazmine Gray of Vibe said, "True to its title, the hip-hop rookie offers his own lyrics over the beats of some of the most popular tracks of the year. The 10-track tape finds the son of a hip hop icon off to a promising start."
In 2015, Jackson appeared in Pia Mia's music video for her song "Touch". He also appeared in American hip hop duo Twenty88's music video, "Out of Love", promoting their self-titled debut extended play.
|2015||Straight Outta Compton||Ice Cube|
|2017||Ingrid Goes West||Dan Pinto|
|2018||Den of Thieves||Donnie Wilson|
|Godzilla: King of the Monsters||Barnes||Post-production|
|2020||Just Mercy||Anthony Ray Hinton||Post-production|
|2018||Drunk History||DJ Kool Herc||Episode: "Game Changers"|
|2012||Jackin' for Beats||Mixtape|
|2014||"OMG"||Single||produced by Foreign Allegiance|
|2015||"Ain't No Place"||Single||produced by Foreign Allegiance|
- Guest appearances
|2010||"She Couldn't Make It On Her Own"||Ice Cube (feat. OMG & Doughboy)||I Am the West|
|"Y'all Know How I Am"||Ice Cube (feat. OMG, Doughboy, WC & Young Maylay)|
- Sean O'Neal (June 9, 2014). "Ice Cube cast his son as Ice Cube in the NWA biopic". Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "Ice Cube - Biography". IMDb.com. Amazon. Retrieved 26 July 2017.
- Bob Strauss (April 27, 2015). "Summer movie preview: O'Shea Jackson Jr. plays dad Ice Cube in 'Straight Outta Compton'". Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- "'Straight Outta Compton' star O'Shea Jackson Jr. is a scene stealer in his new movie". Business Insider. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- Iyana Robertson (October 21, 2014). "Ice Cube Says 'Straight Outta Compton' Cast Did 'A Hell Of A Job'". Vibe. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Jen Yamato, Dark comedy 'Ingrid Goes West' is a warning to fave-thirsty social media addicts, LA Times, http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-ingrid-goes-west-instagram-review-20170810-story.html
- Rachel Handler, Vulture, Ingrid Goes West’s Filmmakers on Aubrey Plaza’s Deranged Performance—and That Catwoman Sex Scene, http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/ingrid-goes-wests-co-writers-on-that-catwoman-sex-scene.html
- Adam Chitwood, Collider, Aubrey Plaza Goes Insane in First ‘Ingrid Goes West’ Trailer, http://collider.com/ingrid-goes-west-trailer-aubrey-plaza/
- Jazmine Gray (March 28, 2012). "Ice Cube's Son OMG (Oh My Goodness) Releases First Mixtape, 'Jackin For Beats'". Vibe. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "The Break Presents: OMG". XXL. May 4, 2012. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Adejobi, Alicia (2016-02-24). "O'Shea Jackson Jr 25th birthday: Facts about the Straight Outta Compton actor you didn't know". International Business Times UK. Retrieved 2018-01-22.