The Savannah Region is a newly proposed region to be created in Ghana. The region will have administrative and governmental legislature like any of the ten already existing regions in Ghana. The region will be carved out of the northern part of the Northern Region. This will be a fulfillment of a campaign promise made by New Patriotic Party. Prior to the 2016 Ghanaian general election, the then candidate Nana Akufo-Addo declared that when elected, he would explore the possibility of creating new regions out of some of the existing regions in Ghana in order to bring government closer to citizens.
The execution of plans for the creation of the regions was seeded to the newly created Ministry of Regional Reorganization and Development which is under the leadership of Hon. Dan Botwe. Government of Ghana ministry charged with the responsibility of supervising the creation of new regions in Ghana. In March 2017, the ministry sent the blue print for the creation of the region along with others to the Council of State. The council met over 36 times from the time of submission to August 2017.
- "Commission of enquiry on creation of new regions commences work - Ghana News". Ghana News. 2017-11-21. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "CREATION OF NEW ADMINISTRATIVE REGIONS—COUNCIL OF STATE RECOMMENDS COMMISSION OF ENQUIRY - Government of Ghana". www.ghana.gov.gh. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- online, myjoy. "2nd Ministerial list out: Akufo-Addo creates new ministries, re-aligns old". myjoyonline.com. myjoyonline. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- "Council of State met 36 times on new Regions - Nana Otuo Siriboe II". GhanaCrusader.com - Latest News in Ghana and Beyond. 2017-08-16. Archived from the original on 2017-12-12. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- ""Creation Of New Region In Your Hands" – President Akufo-Addo To Nayiri – The Presidency, Republic of Ghana". presidency.gov.gh. Archived from the original on 2017-12-11. Retrieved 2017-12-12.