Norman M. Naimark (//; born 1944 in New York City) is an American historian. He is Robert and Florence McDonnel Professor of Eastern European Studies at Stanford University, and a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution. He writes on modern Eastern European history, genocide, and ethnic cleansing in the region.
Naimark received all of his degrees at Stanford. He taught at Boston University, and was a fellow at Harvard University's Russian Research Center before returning to Stanford as a member of the faculty in the 1980s. Naimark is of Jewish heritage; his parents were born in Galicia.
He is a member of the editorial boards of a number of professional journals such as:
He is most known to the public for his acclaimed study The Russians In Germany.
Naimark is the Spring 2011 recipient of Alex Springer Berlin Prize from the American Academy in Berlin.
- Genocide: A World History. Oxford University Press, 2017.
- A Question of Genocide: Armenians and Turks at the End of the Ottoman Empire. Oxford University Press, 2011 (Paperback ed. 2012, ISBN 978-0199930371). (Editor, together with Ronald Grigor Suny and Fatma Müge Göçek)
- Stalin's Genocides (Human Rights and Crimes against Humanity). Princeton University Press, 2010.
- Fires Of Hatred: Ethnic Cleansing In 20th Century Europe (Harvard, 2001)
- The Russians In Germany: The History Of The Soviet Zone Of Occupation, 1945–1949 (Harvard, 1995)
- Terrorists And Social Democrats: The Russian Revolutionary Movement Under Alexander III'' (Harvard, 1983)
- The History Of The "Proletariat": The Emergence Of Marxism In The Kingdom Of Poland, 1870–1887 (Columbia, 1979)
- "Norman Naimark". stanford.edu. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- Daniel Johnson (October 22, 1995). "The Zone". The New York Times.
- Biography of Naimark from Stanford
- HNet review of The Russians in Germany: A History of the Soviet Zone of Occupation, 1945-1949.
- Historians to reconsider Russian occupation of Eastern Europe
- HNet review of Fires of Hatred: Ethnic Cleansing in Twentieth-Century Europe.
- Interview with Naimark on "New Books in History."
- American Academy in Berlin
- Norman M. Naimark: Stalin and Europe, 1945–1953 – Video of a lecture given at the Zentrum für Zeithistorische Forschung in Potsdam on April 14, 2011.