Nnamdi Azikiwe University
Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka also called UNIZIK or NAU in short is a Federal university in Nigeria. It consists of two campuses in Anambra State. Its main campus is located in Awka (the capital of Anambra State), while the second campus is located at Nnewi. Agulu and Ifite-Ogwuari, Anambra State are premises under Awka campus It is one of the federal universities which are overseen and accredited by the National Universities Commission. The university is named after Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe.
|Motto||Discipline, Self Reliance and Excellence|
|Chancellor||Da Jacob Gyang Buba (Gbong Gwong Jos)|
|Vice-Chancellor||Charles Esimone (from 4 June 2019)|
|Colours||Blue and orange|
Nnamdi Azikiwe University came into being as an offshoot of the defunct Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH). ASUTECH which was established through Law No. 7 of 30 July 1980 by the Government of the old Anambra operated as a multi-campus university, with campuses in Abakiliki, Enugu, Awka and Nnewi. In 1991, following the split of the old Anambra State into Anambra and Enugu States, the Awka and Nnewi campuses of the former ASUTECH were constituted into Nnamdi Azikiwe University by the Anambra State Edict No.5 26 November 1991. Nnamdi Azikiwe University was taken over by the Federal Government by Decree No. 34 on 15 July 1992. In 1991, after the former Anambra State was split into Anambra and Enugu States, the Awka and Nnewi campuses of the former Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH) were combined into Nnamdi Azikiwe University, which was later taken over by Federal government. The university is named after Nnamdi Azikiwe, the first president of Nigeria. The Awka Campus became Nnamdi Azikiwe University. In 1992, the Federal Government of Nigeria took over the University from Anambra State. Nnamdi Azikiwe University, thus, became a Federal University.
Location Of The UniversityEdit
- Ijeoma Grace Agu, Nigerian actress.
- Uche Ekwunife, Nigerian politician.
- Destiny Etiko, Nigerian actress.
- Mike Ezuruonye, Nigerian actor.
- Oge Okoye, Nigerian actress.
- Rita Orji, Nigerian-Canadian Professor, Canada Research Chair, Top 150 Canadian Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).
- Rita Edochie, Nigerian veteran actress.
Faculties and PopulationEdit
The University had a population of 24,706 for the regular students and 12,476 students for the part-time programmes during the 2004/2005 academic year.
UNIZIK has a total of 14 faculties and 57 departments. The university has the following faculties:
1. Faculty of Agriculture
2. Faculty of Arts
3. Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
4. Faculty of Biosciences
5. Faculty of Education
6. Faculty of Engineering
7. Faculty of Environmental Sciences
8. Faculty of Health Sciences and Technology
9. Faculty of Law
10. Faculty of Management Sciences
11. Faculty of Medicine
12. Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
13. Faculty of Physical Sciences
14. Faculty of Social Sciences
- "About Nnamdi Azikiwe University". www.unizik.edu.ng. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Nnamdi Azikiwe University". www.aau.org Association of African Universities. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Nnamdi Azikiwe University - WHED - IAU's World Higher Education Database". www.whed.net. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "List of Faculties in Nnamdi Azikiwe University". www.unizik.edu.ng. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- "UNIZIK – Admission, School Fees, Courses, What You Should Know". Information Nigeria. 26 February 2020. Retrieved 7 March 2020.
- "Faculty of Agriculture". Nnamdi Azikiwe University. Retrieved 25 May 2020.