Nkumba University (NKU) is a chartered private university in Uganda. It was established in 1994 as part of a group of schools and colleges that originally grew from a kindergarten established in 1951. The university is not affiliated with any particular religious organization, but it accommodates several religious associations.
|Chancellor||PDG Emmanuel Katongole|
|Vice-Chancellor||Jude T. Lubega|
The university campus is located on Nkumba Hill in Wakiso District, approximately 10 kilometres (6.2 mi), by road, north-east of Entebbe International Airport, along the northern shores of Lake Victoria, the second-largest freshwater body in the world. The coordinates of the university campus are 0°05'42.0"N, 32°30'27.0"E (Latitude:0.095000; Longitude:32.507500).
The university is one of the largest private universities in East Africa. As of December 2011, the student body exceeded 7,000, with over 300 academic staff. The university offers courses leading to certificates, diplomas, baccalaureate degrees as well as postgraduate academic qualifications. At its graduation ceremony in October 2013, 1,700 students were awarded certificates, diplomas, and degrees at a function, presided over by university Chancellor, Gordon Wavamunno. The university was one of the first universities in the country to introduce the Bachelor of Science degree in petroleum studies, mineral management, and technology. The inaugural intake occurred in 2011. A master's degree in the same field is in development.
On 29 July 1951, Ssalongo Kintu a local merchant, invited two of his best friends to a meeting: Charles Kisitu Ffulu, the then Parish Chief of Nkumba, and Zefania Mpanga, a civil servant who resided in the area. Their meeting led to the establishment of a kindergarten for their infants. The school opened on 6 February 1952 with twelve pupils at Ffulu's home. Within two years, the student population had grown to over 150.
The kindergarten grew into a primary (elementary) school. Over the years, the school grew into a junior secondary (middle) school and a senior secondary (high) school. In 1969, the school became a vocational school. In 1974, the name of the school was changed to the Nkumba College of Commerce and Advanced Studies. Finally, in 1994, the board of trustees were approved by the Ministry of Education to transform the college into a university. This marked the beginning of Nkumba University. On 16 February 2007, Nkumba University was granted a charter by the president of Uganda upon the recommendation of the National Council for Higher Education as provided in the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act 2001.
The academic affairs of Nkumba University are organized under seven constituent schools of the university.
- School of Business Administration and Information Technology
- School of Education, Humanities and Sciences
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Law and Institute of Criminal Justice
- School of Industrial, Commercial Art and Design
- School of Computing and Informatics
- School of Sciences.
- Taddeo Rusoke - Ugandan conservation scientist, academic, and policy research fellow of Sefako Makgatho University in Pretoria South Africa. Taddeo Rusoke is a graduate of Master of Science in Environmental Health and Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Management (Agriculture & Nature Conservation) of Nkumba University. He has completed his P.h.D in Conservation Sciences (Improving agricultural livelihoods of protected areas (national parks) in Uganda). He has consulted widely for organizations such as Uganda Wildlife Authority on the development of protected area problem animal management interventions, with Bella Smiles for Developmental Disabilities Washington, African Center for Tobacco Industry Monitoring (South Africa) on tobacco control policies and evidence-based research. He has also worked in partnership with the African Tobacco Control Alliance and Uganda National Health Users/Consumers Organisations to strengthen public health laws in Uganda and Senegal. Taddeo has taught and Nkumba University for eleven years and was part of the team that drafted the Tobacco Control Act for Uganda 2015. Taddeo Rusoke is the co-author of the book The Great Kingdom of Tooro.
- Doreen Amule - Ugandan politician.
- NKU (2010). "Governance At Nkumba University". Nkumba University (NKU). Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "Distance Between Entebbe International Airport And Nkumba With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Google. "Location of Nkumba University At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "Nkumba University Supplement". New Vision. 8 January 2014. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Nakajubi, Gloria (20 October 2013). "Over 1000 Graduate From Nkumba University". New Vision. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "Nkumba University Gets First Foot On Oil Training Ladder". OilInUganda.org. 6 July 2012. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Namutebi, Joyce (24 April 2006). "Uganda: Nkumba to Get Charter". New Vision via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- NKU. "The Schools of Nkumba University". Nkumba University (NKU). Archived from the original on 30 July 2014. Retrieved 12 July 2014.