Nir Tessler (Hebrew: ניר טסלר; born: 1962) is the Barbara and Norman Seiden professor in the Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering and head of the Microelectronics and Nanoelectronics centers at the Technion - Israel Institute of Technology.
|Born||1962 (age 59–60)|
|Thesis||Dynamic Properties of Inverted QW Laser Structure (1995)|
|Doctoral advisor||Gadi Eisenstein|
Early life and educationEdit
Tessler received his B.Sc in electrical engineering in 1989 (Summa Cum Laude) and M.Sc in electrical engineering (1992), both from the Technion. His Ph.D. degree was received in 1995 from the Technion. Tessler authored the thesis Dynamic Properties of Inverted QW Laser Structure, under the supervision of Gadi Eisenstein.
Tessler was a research associate and later an EPSRC advanced fellow at the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge University, UK from 1995 to 1999. He then joined the faculty of electrical engineering at the Technion as a senior lecturer. Tessler became an associate professor in 2003, and a full professor in 2008. From 2010, Tessler is head of the Microelectronics and Nanoelectronics centers at the Technion.
As of April 2022, Tessler has supervised 27 graduate students, and authored over 200 scientific publications.
Tessler's research work focuses on new materials and the relation of their chemical and physics properties with device performance; Device chemical-physics and device structural designs. This includes light-matter interaction (including laser action and micro-cavities), transport of electrons, holes, and ions, electron-hole pairs (excitons), processing of devices (transistors, photo-images, detectors and solar cells).
In 1996 Tessler was the first to introduce a “plastic laser” based on semiconducting organic molecule (polymer). Two years later he initiated the construction of the first smart-pixel, which proved that thin flexible screens are feasible. In 2002 he showed that organic LEDs (OLEDs) can be made to emit light at a wavelength (“color”) that is relevant to fiber-based communication (i.e., at 1.3 micron). In 2006, he submitted a patent for a new transistor structure which had a vertical orientation where the transistor functions of gate, source, channel, and drain are stacked one on top of the other.
Honors and awardsEdit
- 1995 The Rothschild Post Doctoral Fellowship
- 1999 Alon Fellowship
- 2009 Top 1% in the field of Chemistry. - Essential Science Indicators from Thomson Reuters
- 2020 Honorary fellow of the Chinese chemical society for “pioneering contributions in the field of conjugated polymer lasers, near infrared polymer LEDs, organic semiconductor charge transport, and vertical structure organic field effect transistor devices”
- 2020 Fellow of the Royal society of chemistry
- N. Tessler and G. Eisenstein, On carrier injection and gain dynamics in quantum well lasers, IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, 1993, 29, 1586–1595.
- N. Tessler, G. J. Denton and R. H. Friend, Lasing from conjugated-polymer microcavities, Nature, 1996, 382, 695–697.
- G. J. Denton, N. Tessler, N. T. Harrison and R. H. Friend, Factors influencing stimulated emission from poly(p-phenylenevinylene), Physical Review Letters, 1997, 78, 733–736.
- H. Sirringhaus, N. Tessler and R. H. Friend, Integrated optoelectronic devices based on conjugated polymers, Science, 1998, 280, 1741–1744.
- N. Tessler, N. T. Harrison and R. H. Friend, High peak brightness polymer light-emitting diodes, Advanced Materials, 1998, 10, 64-+.
- V. Cleave, G. Yahioglu, P. Le Barny, R. H. Friend and N. Tessler, Harvesting singlet and triplet energy in polymer LEDs, Advanced Materials, 1999, 11, 285–288.
- N. Tessler, Lasers based on semiconducting organic materials, Advanced Materials, 1999, 11, 363–370.
- Y. Roichman and N. Tessler, Generalized Einstein relation for disordered semiconductors - Implications for device performance, Applied Physics Letters, 2002, 80, 1948–1950.
- N. Tessler, V. Medvedev, M. Kazes, S. H. Kan and U. Banin, Efficient near-infrared polymer nanocrystal light-emitting diodes, Science, 2002, 295, 1506–1508.
- M. Soreni-Harari, N. Yaacobi-Gross, D. Steiner, A. Aharoni, U. Banin, O. Millo and N. Tessler, Tuning energetic levels in nanocrystal quantum dots through surface manipulations, Nano Letters, 2008, 8, 678–684.
- N. Tessler, Y. Preezant, N. Rappaport and Y. Roichman, Charge Transport in Disordered Organic Materials and Its Relevance to Thin-Film Devices: A Tutorial Review, Advanced Materials, 2009, 21, 2741–2761.
- O. Solomeshch et al., "Ground-State Interaction and Electrical Doping of Fluorinated C-60 in Conjugated Polymers," Advanced Materials, vol. 21, no. 44, 0935–9648, pp. 4456-+, 2009
- H. Shekhar, O. Solomeshch, D. Liraz and N. Tessler, Low dark leakage current in organic planar heterojunction photodiodes, Applied Physics Letters, 2017, 111.
- H. Shekhar, A. Fenigstein, T. Leitner, B. Lavi, D. Veinger, and N. Tessler, "Hybrid image sensor of small molecule organic photodiode on CMOS – Integration and characterization," Sci Rep, vol. 10, no. 1, p. 7594, 2020.
- "Management Archives -". Retrieved 2022-03-28.
- "Nir Tessler (Short Bio)" (PDF). Organic materials and devices lab at the Technion.
- "Academic staff Details of PROFESSOR EMERITUS Gad Eisenstein". www.graduate.technion.ac.il. Retrieved 2022-03-28.
- Harrington, James P. (2000-05-09). Who's Who in Plastics Polymers. CRC Press. ISBN 978-1-4822-9400-2.
- "Reporter Special 6/11/98: List of members of the Faculties". www.admin.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 2022-03-28.
- Tessler, N.; Denton, G. J.; Friend, R. H. (1996). "Lasing from conjugated-polymer microcavities". Nature. 382 (6593): 695–697. Bibcode:1996Natur.382..695T. doi:10.1038/382695a0. ISSN 1476-4687. S2CID 4239356.
- Samuel, I. D. W.; Turnbull, G. A. (2007-03-27). "Organic Semiconductor Lasers". Chemical Reviews. 107 (4): 1272–1295. doi:10.1021/cr050152i. ISSN 0009-2665. PMID 17385928.
- Sirringhaus, Henning; Tessler, Nir; Friend, Richard H. (1998-06-12). "Integrated Optoelectronic Devices Based on Conjugated Polymers". Science. 280 (5370): 1741–1744. Bibcode:1998Sci...280.1741S. doi:10.1126/science.280.5370.1741. ISSN 0036-8075. PMID 9624049.
- Tessler, Nir; Medvedev, Vlad; Kazes, Miri; Kan, ShiHai; Banin, Uri (2002-02-22). "Efficient Near-Infrared Polymer Nanocrystal Light-Emitting Diodes". Science. 295 (5559): 1506–1508. Bibcode:2002Sci...295.1506T. doi:10.1126/science.1068153. ISSN 0036-8075. PMID 11859189. S2CID 39611360.
- US 8552422, Tessler, Nir; Margalit, Moti & Globerman, Oded et al., "Transistor structures and methods of fabrication thereof", published 2013-10-08, assigned to Technion Research and Development Foundation Ltd.
- "Rothschild Fellows 2021 by Yad Hanadiv - Issuu". issuu.com. Retrieved 2022-03-29.
- "Nir Tessler - Interview - ScienceWatch.com". archive.sciencewatch.com. Retrieved 2022-03-28.
- "2020 CCS Honorary Fellows Announced". www.chinesechemsoc.org. Retrieved 2022-03-28.
- Accredible. "Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry". Royal Society of Chemistry. Retrieved 2022-03-28.
- Shekhar, Himanshu; Fenigstein, Amos; Leitner, Tomer; Lavi, Becky; Veinger, Dmitry; Tessler, Nir (2020-05-05). "Hybrid image sensor of small molecule organic photodiode on CMOS – Integration and characterization". Scientific Reports. 10 (1): 7594. Bibcode:2020NatSR..10.7594S. doi:10.1038/s41598-020-64565-5. ISSN 2045-2322. PMC 7200686. PMID 32372047.