Nieuwstadt (Limburgish: De Nuujsjtad) (German: Neustadt) is a city in the Dutch province of Limburg. It is a part of the municipality of Echt-Susteren, and lies about 5 km north of Sittard. Nieuwstadt received city rights in 1277.
|Coordinates: 51°2′N 5°52′E / 51.033°N 5.867°ECoordinates: 51°2′N 5°52′E / 51.033°N 5.867°E|
|• Total||3.96 km2 (1.53 sq mi)|
|Elevation||34 m (112 ft)|
|• Density||820/km2 (2,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Major roads||N276, N297|
It was first mentioned in 1242 as "Novo Opido", and means "new (fortified) city", and received city rights in 1277. Nieuwstadt was a border city of the Duchy of Guelders and received city walls. In 1383, it was severe damaged and a more compact settlement developed. In 1573, the walls were demolished and Nieuwstadt started to stagnate.
The Catholic St John the Baptist Church has a nave from the 13th century. The choir was added in the 14th century is slight crooked. The church was restored in 1862 by Pierre Cuypers. The church was damaged during World War II and was repaired in 1946.
Millen Castle is located to the south-east of Nieuwstadt. There is still a ruin of the medieval castle which probably had its origins in the 13th century. In 1365, a ring wall with two towers were added. Around 1450, a second ring was added. The castle was demolished from 1650 onwards. In the late-17th century, an estate was built near the former castle.
Nieuwstadt was home to 830 people in 1840. It was a separate municipality until 1982, when it was merged into Echt-Susteren.
- Emeri Johannes van Donzel (1925–2017), historian
- Martijn van Helvert (born 1978), politician
- Demi Schuurs (born 1993), tennis player
- Perr Schuurs (born 1999), footballer
- ^ a b c "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2021". Central Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 23 April 2022.
- ^ "Postcodetool for 6118AA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 23 April 2022.
- ^ a b "Nieuwstadt - (geografische naam)". Etymologiebank (in Dutch). Retrieved 23 April 2022.
- ^ a b c Sabine Broekhoven, & Ronald Stenvert (2003). Nieuwstadt (in Dutch). Zwolle: Waanders. ISBN 90 400 9623 6. Retrieved 23 April 2022.
- ^ "Nieuwstadt". Plaatsengids (in Dutch). Retrieved 23 April 2022.
- ^ Ad van der Meer and Onno Boonstra, Repertorium van Nederlandse gemeenten, KNAW, 2011.
- Media related to Nieuwstadt at Wikimedia Commons