Nicholas James Vujicic (// VOY-ich-ich;[note 1] Serbian: [ʋûjitʃitɕ]; born 4 December 1982) is an Australian Christian evangelist and motivational speaker born with tetra-amelia syndrome, a rare disorder characterized by the absence of arms and legs. He is one of the seven known surviving individuals planet-wide who live with the syndrome.
Vujicic in 2016
Nicholas James Vujicic
|Education||Bachelor's degrees in accounting and financial planning|
|Alma mater||Griffith University|
|Occupation||Evangelist, motivational speaker|
|Spouse(s)||Kanae Miyahara (m. 2012)|
Early life and familyEdit
Vujicic was born in Melbourne, Australia, in 1982, to Dušanka and Borislav Vujičić, Serbian immigrants from Yugoslavia. His parents became active in a Melbourne church. His mother attended nursing school at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne while his father worked in business management. He was born with tetra-amelia without some fully formed limbs. According to his autobiography, his mother refused to see him or hold him while the nurse held him in front of her, but she and her husband eventually accepted their son's condition and understood it as God's plan for their son.
Vujicic has two small and deformed feet, one of which he calls his "chicken drumstick" because of its shape.
Originally, he was born with the toes of that foot fused. An operation was performed to separate the toes so that he could use them as fingers to grab, turn a page, or perform other functions. He has been able to use his foot to operate an electric wheelchair, a computer and a mobile phone. Vujicic attempted suicide but notes that he had an "amazingly normal childhood".
Vujicic thrived in his teenage and young adult years despite being bullied. After his mother showed him a newspaper article about a man dealing with a severe disability when he was seventeen, he started to give talks at his prayer group. Vujicic graduated from Griffith University at the age of 21 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree, with a double major in accountancy and financial planning.
Vujicic started his speaking engagements at 19. In 2005, he founded Life Without Limbs, an international non-profit organisation and ministry. In 2007, he founded Attitude is Altitude, a secular motivational speaking company. He starred in the short film The Butterfly Circus. At the 2010 Method Fest Independent Film Festival, he was awarded Best Actor in a Short Film for his starring performance as Will.
On his webpages, in a self-formulated "Statement of Faith", Vujicic states his adherence to born-again Christianity, to classically Calvinist notions on sin and redemption, and to Biblical inerrancy without specifying what particular understanding of Biblical inerrancy he intends to mean. His tenets of faith also include the imminent Second Coming of Christ. He does not publicly identify with or adhere to any denomination or congregation.
In 2008 in McKinney, Texas, near Dallas, he met Kanae Miyahara, the Mexican-born, Texas-based younger daughter of a Japanese agricultural engineer and a Mexican mother. She had come to hear him give a motivational speech. They married on 12 February 2012. The couple has two sons and, as of June 2017, are expecting twins. They live in southern California.
Books and publicationsEdit
His first book, Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life, was published by Random House in 2010 and has been translated into more than 30 languages. He markets a motivational DVD, Life's Greater Purpose, a short documentary filmed in 2005. The second part of the DVD was filmed at his local church in Brisbane. He markets a DVD for young people titled No Arms, No Legs, No Worries!.
- Life Without Limits: Inspiration of a Ridiculously Good Life (2010). ISBN 978-0307589743
- Your Life Without Limits (2012). ISBN 978-0307731043
- Limitless: Devotions for a Ridiculously Good Life (2013). ISBN 978-0307730916
- Unstoppable: The Incredible Power of Faith in Action (2013). ISBN 978-0307730893
- The Power of Unstoppable Faith (2014). ISBN 978-1601426765
- Stand Strong (2015). ISBN 978-1601427823
- Love Without Limits (2016). ISBN 978-1601426185
- Be the Hands and Feet: Living Out God's Love for All His Children (2/20/18). ISBN 978-1601426208
- Vujicic pronounces his name at approximately 0:19. on YouTube
- Vujicic, Nick. "Nick Vujicic | Spreading Hope Worldwide". Nickvujicic.com. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "Life Without Limbs: About Nick Vujicic". Retrieved 28 September 2009.
- Born without arms and legs at BBC; published 23 February 2011; retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "Nick Vujicic – The Man Who Has Inspired Millions - World Top Updates". Worldtopupdates.com. 26 May 2017. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- Z. Lazarević. "Roditelji Nika Vujičića u Beogradu: Drago nam je što smo u zemlji naših predaka". Blic.rs. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- Vujicic, Nick. "A Life of Value", Life Without Limits, Doubleday, 2010.
- "Nick Vijucic - Attitude is Altitude". Attitude is Altitude. Archived from the original on 16 March 2016. Retrieved 11 March 2016.
- Herald, University (19 August 2016). "Nick Vujicic On Hopelessness And His Childhood – Part 1". Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Riley, Jennifer (30 March 2008). "Limbless Evangelist Preaches Joy in Christ". Christian Post Reporter. Archived from the original on 10 March 2009. Retrieved 28 September 2009.
- "Nick Vijucic - Attitude is Altitude". Attitude is Altitude. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "Butterfly Circus Wins The Doorpost Film Project's $100,000 First Prize". 168project.blogspot.com. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "2010 Method Fest, Independent Film Festival, Calabasas, California". Methodfest.com. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Statement of Faith", No. 9, lifewithoutlimbs.org; accessed 3 October 2016.
- "Nick Vujicic, motivational speaker born without limbs, enjoys beach with family". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- "The View from This Seat: The Amazing Nick Vujicic". Theviewfromthisseat.blogspot.com. 2016-03-10. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- "How Nick Vujicic Met His Wife? What Qualities Attracted Him to Kanae Miyahara? | How Nick Vujicic Met His Wife? What Qualities Attracted Him to Kanae Miyahara?Christian Post | iPost - Share your story, discuss the issues with Christianpost.com". Ipost.christianpost.com. 2012-02-12. Retrieved 2017-06-30.
- "Nick Vujicic shares family's excitement in awaiting arrival of second son". Christiantoday.com. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Muteshi, Musabi. "Being someone else's miracle: Rwanda's story". The New Times Rwanda. Retrieved 8 March 2016.