Negro is a candy originating in Subotica, made by the company founded in 1917 by József Ruff. Originally based in Austria-Hungary, Ruff and his family continued living and working in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia following the dissolution of Austria-Hungary. This brand of candies has been later produced by Pionir (the successor of Ruff's confectionery production) since 1946 in Serbia. In Hungary, it was produced by Győri Keksz until 2019. The product's slogan is "the chimney sweep of the throat". On its wrapper a chimney sweeper is depicted sweeping a chimney. It gets its originally black colour from active carbon and anise which is similar in taste to licorice, and taste from menthol added. Its full recipe is an industrial secret. Since 2018, production of Győri-branded Negro has been moved to Gebze, Turkey.
The name Negro has sometimes been viewed as racist. However, the name refers to its inventor, Pietro Negro, and the word "black" (as the most popular version of the candy is black) is not connected to people of African descent.
- "INDUSTRIJA I INDUSTRIJALCI SUBOTICE (1918-1941)" (PDF). Suistorija.files.wordpress.com. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- SZERBHORVÁTH GYÖRGY. "A szabadkai zsidóság történetéről" (PDF). Regio.tk.mta.hu. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Najpoznatiji odžačar grla" (PDF). Valicon.net. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Pionir d.o.o. - Artikli - Istorijat". A-pionir.com. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "The wrapper of Negro". M.cdn.blog.hu. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "A torok rejtélyes kémény-seprője". Népszabadság. 13 April 2005. Archived from the original on 11 February 2013. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Macskanyelvtől a pöttyösig". Szabad Föld. 23 May 2009. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- Origo. "Bezár a győri Negro gyár". origo.hu (in Hungarian). Retrieved 2020-07-20.
- "Lost in translation". Spinor.info. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Negro Candy: A Racist Confectionery? - Bad Record Covers". Badrecordcovers.com. Retrieved 23 January 2018.