Simon Mwansa Kapwepwe International Airport
Simon Mwansa Kapwepwe International Airport (IATA: NLA, ICAO: FLSK) is an airport located in Copperbelt Province in northern Zambia, in the city of Ndola, near the international border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It was officially known as Ndola Airport before being renamed in 2011 in honour of Simon Kapwepwe, the nation's former vice president.
Simon Mwansa Kapwepwe
|Owner||Nation city capital at Zambia|
|Elevation AMSL||4,170 ft / 1,271 m|
Ndola Airport is an airport that serves the city of Ndola and surrounding cities on the copperbelt. It handles domestic and international flights for both passengers and cargo.
On 18 September 1961, a UN charter flight carrying United Nations Secretary General Dag Hammarskjöld crashed en route to land at Ndola Airport. Hammarskjöld and 15 others died in the crash. Although the cause of the crash has never been completely ascertained, it may have been caused by an aircraft attack. The crash site, 15 km west of the airport, has been turned into the Dag Hammarskjöld Crash Site Memorial.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
The following airlines have scheduled passenger service at Ndola International airport:
|Airlink||Johannesburg–O. R. Tambo|
|Ethiopian Airlines||Addis Ababa|
|Kenya Airways||Nairobi–Jomo Kenyatta|
|Proflight Zambia||Johannesburg-O. R. Tambo (begins 2 September 2019), Lusaka, Solwezi|
|South African Airways||Johannesburg–O. R. Tambo|
- "Distance between Ndola () (Airport) and Lusaka (Lusaka) (Zambia)". distancecalculator.globefeed.com. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Information about Ndola Airport - World airport database". www.airport-data.com. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Ndola NDB (NW) @ OurAirports". ourairports.com. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Ndola VOR-DME (VND) @ OurAirports". ourairports.com. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Borger, Julian (26 September 2017). "Plane crash that killed UN boss 'may have been caused by aircraft attack'". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- OpenStreetMap - Ndola
- Accident history for NLA at Aviation Safety Network
- Airport information for NLA at Great Circle Mapper.
- Current weather for FLSK at NOAA/NWS
- Airport information for FLND at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
|This article about an airport in Zambia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Zambia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|