National Command and Operation Center
The National Command and Operation Center (NCOC) is the principal body governing the policies and implementation of the national COVID-19 effort of Pakistan. It was formed in April 2020 on the orders of the Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan to collate, analyze, and process information received from all provinces, AJK, Gilgit-Baltistan, and the Capital Territory. It also makes recommendations to the National Coordination Committee (NCC), which is headed by the Prime Minister for timely interventions relating to the national COVID-19 response effort.
|Jurisdiction||Government of Pakistan|
|Motto||Together we rise and rise again|
|Parent department||National Coordination Committee, Prime Minister Secretariat|
The initial response to the outbreak of coronavirus in early 2020 was led by the National Disaster Management Authority. The NDMA was formed to tackle traditional emergencies, and was adept at procuring and delivering emergency and relief supplies, but was unable to launch a national response against challenges posed by a pandemic like COVID-19. Pakistan's initial response was marred by confusions partly due to Imran Khan's reluctance on imposing a complete lockdown due to the economic effects and difficulties faced by the poorer segment of society, and due to the divisions within the federal cabinet. NCOC was envisioned for three major tasks:
- Use of technology in helping understand data and to draw insights from it.
- Clear and effective public messaging and education of the masses regarding the coronavirus pandemic.
- Coherent governance and policy recommendations to ensure consistency and predictability in the national response.
- "A look inside Pakistan's Covid-19 response". The Express Tribune. 2020-05-01. Retrieved 2021-04-28.
- "Lockdown or No Lockdown? Confusion Dominates Pakistan's COVID Response | Voice of America - English". www.voanews.com. Retrieved 2021-04-28.
- "Is NCOC our Covid-19 miracle?". www.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2021-04-28.
- Husain, Fahd (2020-04-19). "Inside the NCOC: An eyewitness account". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 2021-04-28.