Nas: Time Is Illmatic
Nas: Time Is Illmatic is a 2014 documentary film directed by One9 and produced by One9, Erik Parker and Anthony Saleh. The film recounts the circumstances leading up to Nas' 1994 debut album Illmatic. Released on the 20th anniversary of Illmatic, the film includes interviews with Nas, his brother and father, and figures from the East Coast hip hop scene. Nas: Time Is Illmatic premiered during the opening night of the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival, on April 16, 2014. The project received a grant from Tribeca All Access and additional funding from the Ford Foundation.
|Nas: Time Is Illmatic|
|Written by||Erik Parker|
|Music by||B. Satz|
|Edited by||David Zieff
|Distributed by||Tribeca Film|
Nas: Time Is Illmatic received positive reviews from most critics. As of October 13, 2014, the film's Metacritic score is 72/100, and its Rotten Tomatoes score is 100%, with an average rating of 7.3/10. Rotten Tomatoes' critics consensus reads: "Comprehensive yet brisk, Nas: Time Is Illmatic offers an absorbing look at a hip-hop classic and the life of the artist who made it." The documentary was a recipient of a Candescent Award. Nas: Time Is Illmatic was considered by Variety magazine to be a likely contender to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature, but did not receive a nomination.
- "NAS: Time is Illmatic (2014) - Box Office Mojo". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Nas: Time Is Illmatic | Tribeca Film". Tribeca Film. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Tsai, Martin (1 October 2014). "Review: 'Nas: Time Is Illmatic' is a reminder of rap's potential". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Graham, Adam (10 October 2014). "Review: "Nas: Time Is Illmatic"". The Detroit News. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Rapold, Nicolas (30 September 2014). "In 'Nas: Time Is Illmatic,' a Rapper Revisits His Roots". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Foundas, Scott (17 April 2014). "'Time Is Illmatic' Review: A Heartfelt Look Back at Nas' Debut Album". Variety. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Brooks, Brian (3 October 2014). "Men Women and Children, Nas: Time Is Illmatic, Specialty B.O. Preview". Deadline. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Nas: Time Is Illmatic Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Nas: Time Is Illmatic - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- McClintock, Pamela (2 April 2014). "Tribeca: Nas Documentary 'Time is Illmatic' to Receive Inaugural Candescent Award". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- Variety Staff. "Contenders: Documentary Feature". Variety.