Ignacio Cano Andrés (b. Madrid, February 26, 1963), better known as Nacho Cano, is a Spanish arranger, composer, musician and record producer. He and his brother showed an interest in music in their young lives. At 5, he began to play the Spanish guitar and at 12 he started his first band called "Prisma", with Toti Arboles and Eduardo Benavente, both of whom would later make up the core of the sociocultural movement that took place in Spain after Franco's death, known as the "Movida Madrileña". After playing in several different bands in his early teens, Nacho formed Mecano with his brother Jose and his brother's friend Ana Torroja. At 16, Nacho wrote "Hoy No Me Puedo Levantar" ("I Can’t Get Up Today"). Mecano signed their first record deal with CBS, when Nacho was 17 years old. This first album smashed all sales records in Spain, selling 1,000,000 copies in three months.
Cano at the South Summit 2017
|Birth name||Ignacio de la Macarena Cano Andrés|
|Born||February 26, 1963|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, composer, musician|
At this time, Nacho met the influential Hans Zimmer who would help him produce and arrange Mecano's third album. Today, Nacho attributes Hans with teaching him the most important music lessons of his life. They remain friends and mentors to this day. It was during this journey also that Nacho met Penélope Cruz who would star in the music video for one of his most successful songs, "La Fuerza del Destino".(Destiny's Force) In 1992, seeking to escape the challenges that entail his success, he travelled to New York City with Penélope Cruz and wrote his first instrumental piece "Un Mundo Separado por el Mismo Dios" ("A World Split by God himself"). They moved to London in 1994. Their relationship lasted through 1998, and they remain friends.
With 4 conceptual records on the market in 2002 he composed the music to represent Madrid's 2012 Olympic candidacy, also used for the 2016 candidacy. In 2004, Nacho composed the official wedding music for his Royal Highness Prince Felipe of Spain. This work was commissioned by the Madrid City Hall, as a gift for this historical union. In April 2005, he debuted his first musical "Hoy No Me Puedo Levantar" ("I Can't Get up Today"), again recalling the success of the earlier written song of the same name. This show would receive the highest earnings in the history of Spain, selling out day after day for over 5 years The musical was received with equal enthusiasm in Mexico. Following this show he launched ¨A¨, a new musical that premiered in Madrid and Barcelona with great success During the spring of 2010 in his Ibiza studio, Nacho composed the inauguration music for the European Athletics Championships, held in Barcelona. He composed this work alongside the aerial choreographer Hansell Cereza, Nacho currently lives in Miami, Florida, and divides his time between his yoga studio and his music.
Albums recording with MecanoEdit
- Album: "Mecano" 1982
- Album: "¿Dónde Está El País De Las Hadas?" 1983
- Album: "Ya Viene El Sol" 1984
- Album: "Mecano En Concierto" 1985
- Album: "Lo Último De Mecano" 1986 album not official published by CBS Columbia. Album with 4 unpublished songs in studio: 3 songs of 1982 and 1 song of 1984 and too 4 live-songs of 1985's Tour (Concert at "Frontón De Segovia").
- Album: "Greenpeace, Salvemos Al Mediterráneo" 1986 album not official published by RCA/Ariola. Only 1 song of Mecano: "Canción cortita para antes que nos abandone el mar" (I. Cano – 00 min. 57 seg.)
- Album: "Entre El Cielo Y El Suelo" 1986 (Spain edition) 12 songs.
- Album: "Entre El Cielo Y El Suelo" 1986 (US & Latin-America edition) 10 songs.
- Album: "Entre El Cielo Y El Suelo" 1986 (France edition) 14 songs.
- Album: "Figlio Della Luna" 1989 (Italy edition) 9 songs in Italian + 1 instrumental.
- Album: "Descanso Dominical" 1988 (edition in Spanish) 14 songs.
- Album: "Descanso Dominical" 1990 (France edition) 1 song in French + 11 songs in Spanish.
- Album: "Aidalai" 1991 (edition in Spanish) 12 songs + 1 instrumental.
- Album: "Aidalai" 1991 (Italy edition) 6 songs in Italian.
- Album: "Aidalai" 1991 (France edition) 7 songs in French.
- Album: "Ana/José/Nacho" 1998 compilation double-album in Spanish: 7 "new" songs + 23 old hits.
- Album: "Ana-José-Nacho" 1998 (France edition) compilation unique-disc: 3 new songs in French + some of 7 "new" songs in Spanish and old songs in French.
Solo career albumsEdit
- "Nacho Cano | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- Berumen, Frank Javier Garcia (August 1, 2014). Latino Image Makers in Hollywood: Performers, Filmmakers and Films Since the 1960s. McFarland. ISBN 9780786474325.
- "Penelope Cruz dated Nacho Cano". Zimbio.
- [dead link]
- "El lunes se pone a la venta «Música para una boda», de Nacho Cano, cuyos beneficios serán para las víctimas del 11-M". abc. May 21, 2004.
- [dead link]
- "Nacho Cano renueva el musical A para su estreno en Barcelona". todoMUSICALES.
- "NACHO CANO. HIMNO PARA EUROPA | Facebook". www.facebook.com.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Godes, Patricia (February 25, 2012). "Así es como Mecano esquiva su leyenda". El País (in Spanish). Retrieved October 28, 2016.