NK Maribor B
Nogometni klub Maribor "B" (English: Maribor B Football Club), commonly referred to as NK Maribor B or simply Maribor B, was an association football club based in the city of Maribor, Slovenia. Founded in 2014, NK Maribor B was the reserve team of NK Maribor. The team was dissolved following the 2016–17 season.
|Full name||Nogometni klub Maribor B|
|Nickname(s)||Vijoličasti (The Purples)|
|Ground||Tabor Sports Park|
Reserve teams in Slovenia play in the same league system as the senior teams, however, they cannot play in the same competition as their senior teams, and thus, Maribor B was ineligible to play in the Slovenian PrvaLiga or the Slovenian Cup. During the first two seasons the team was also ineligible for promotion to the Slovenian Second League, 2. SNL, due to the rules of the Football Association of Slovenia which prevented reserve teams of the PrvaLiga clubs to play in the Slovenian Second League. This rule was lifted in June 2016. Only players between the age of 17 and 23 had the right to play for the team, with the exception of individuals, members of the first squad, who would become eligible to play for the team in case of a lengthy injury.
Maribor B played their first match on 10 July 2014 on a neutral venue in Dokležovje, when they faced Bosnia and Herzegovina top division side Sloboda Tuzla in an international friendly match and lost with the score 1–0. The team played their first official league match on 23 August 2014 against Mons Claudius in Rogatec and won with the score 9–1. After six wins in six rounds, with the goal difference 26–8, Maribor B suffered their first league defeat on 12 October 2014 when they were defeated 1–0 in an away match against Podvinci. The team finished their inaugural season as the winners of the northern group in the Slovenian Third League, however, they were unable to promote due to the rules of the Football Association of Slovenia.
|Champions||Runners-up||Promoted ↑||Relegated ↓||Top scorer in the competition ♦|
|2014–15||Div 3||26||22||1||3||80||25||67||1st||—||—||—||—||Alen Ploj||20|
|2015–16||Div 3||26||18||7||1||102||24||61||2nd||—||—||—||—||Sven Dodlek||19|
|2016–17||Div 3||26||21||3||2||107||25||66||1st||—||—||—||—||Anel Hajrić||33 ♦|
- Peter Dominko (18 June 2014). "Maribor z drugo ekipo v tretji ligi" [Maribor with a reserve team in the third division] (in Slovenian). SNPortal. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Naša druga ekipa v tretji ligi" [Our reserve team to play in the third division] (in Slovenian). NK Maribor. 23 June 2014. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Uredništvo (2 June 2017). "Nova realnost Maribora je racionalizacija" (in Slovenian). Nogomania.com. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Po uspešni sezoni pogled v prihodnost" (in Slovenian). NK Maribor. 2 June 2017. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- Peter Dominko (30 June 2016). "Drugoligaška vrata se odpirajo tudi B ekipam" [Second division doors are opening for B squads] (in Slovenian). SNPortal. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
- "Začetek v Rogatcu" [The beginning in Rogatec] (in Slovenian). NK Maribor. 22 August 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- A. V. (22 August 2014). ""Druga" ekipa Maribora v tretji ligi" ["Second" Maribor team in the third division] (in Slovenian). RTV Slovenija. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Začel tudi Maribor B" [Maribor B have also begun] (in Slovenian). NK Maribor. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- R. Š. (10 July 2014). "Poraz na zadnjem testu pred Zrinjskim" [A defeat in a last test before Zrinjski] (in Slovenian). SNPortal. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- NK Maribor (23 August 2014). "NK Maribor B: Za uvod zmaga 9–1" [NK Maribor B: For the intro a 9–1 victory] (in Slovenian). NK Maribor. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Andrej Lončarič (12 October 2014). "Neporaženih ni več, Maribor pokleknil v Podvincih" [No more undefeated, Maribor lost in Podvinci] (in Slovenian). SNPortal. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Prvaki tudi v tretji ligi!" [Champions also in the Third League!] (in Slovenian). NK Maribor. 30 May 2015. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- Official website (in Slovene)