Music Story is a music service website and international music data provider. It curates, aggregates, and analyzes metadata for digital music services.
Type of site
|Available in||English, French|
|Created by||Jean-Luc Biaulet, Loïc Picaud|
Music Story was launched in 2008 as an online musical encyclopedia inspired by AllMusic. It was founded by Jean-Luc Biaulet and Loïc Picaud, the last of whom is the site's editor-in-chief and has authored books on David Bowie, Serge Gainsbourg, Paul McCartney and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Picaud also wrote L'Odyssée du Rock Français, a study of French rock music, and contributed to the reference work Le Rock de A à Z.
The site included artists' biographies, features on various musical genres, and album reviews. Among the contributors and reviewers were music critic Christian Larrède, who has written for the cultural magazine Les Inrockuptibles; Stan Cuesta, a musician and journalist specialising in rock and folk, who has also contributed to Mojo, Rolling Stone and Rock & Folk; and Guillaume Belhomme, a jazz musician and author. Along with the French publication Le Guide du CD, the site's album ratings are included in the statistical aggregates compiled by the website Acclaimed Music.
Music Story later developed as an editorial enrichment service for digital music platforms, such as artist biographies, and processing and qualification of metadata. In 2013, the company launched an application programming interface (API). Titled, Music Story Pro, it offers integrated digital music search engines, access to third-party content (audio/video streams, photos, lyrics), and music recommendations. In October 2014, the company's products were featured in Radio 2.0 Paris' music technology event, hosted by Radio France.
In 2015, Music Story carried out a fundraising of €600,000 to further its international development. The initiative was supported by France's Institut pour le Financement du Cinéma et des Industries Culturelles. As of May that year, the company's customers included Deezer, Fnac, Amazon, Radio France, Lagardère and Universal.
- Philippe, Julien (18 June 2013). "Music Story se transforme en API". DBTH. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "Loïc Picaud". Babelio. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "David Bowie. Loïc Picaud: "Une rencontre choc"". Le Télégramme. 26 February 2008. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- Larrède, Christian. "Critique de Tana Mana, Ravi Shankar". Music Story. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "Christian Larrède". lesinrocks.com. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Stan Cuesta – écrivain, auteur, journaliste, presse musicale, biographie de Nirvana, Edith Piaf, Léo Ferré, Jeff Bluckley, U2 ..." stancuesta.com. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "Stan Cuesta". castorastral.com. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "Equipe". Music Story. Archived from the original on 6 June 2013. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Jazz Culture: Eric Dolphy, par Guillaume Belhomme". francemusique.com. 10 April 2018. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Album: The Beatles Revolver". Acclaimed Music. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- Lenotre, Bertrand (29 May 2015). "Métadonnées: le Français Music Story lève 600 000 euros" (in French). Digital Business News. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- News admin (16 October 2014). "Les Nouveaux Enjeux de la Prescription Musicale par Music-Story @ Radio 2.0 Paris 2014". Big Media. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- Brulhatour (1 June 2015). "Music Story finance son développement à l'international". La Lettre Pro de la Radio. Retrieved 4 June 2018.
- "Music Story: 600 000 euros pour se développer à l'international". IRMA. 29 May 2015. Retrieved 3 June 2018.