This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)
Music For Nations (MFN) is a British independent record label focusing mainly on rock and metal. It was a subsidiary of the larger label distributor Zomba Records, which was a division of BMG and later Sony Music Entertainment.
|Music For Nations|
|Parent company||Sony Music Entertainment[when?]|
|Distributor(s)||Zomba Music Group|
Bertelsmann Music Group
Sony Music Entertainment
|Genre||Heavy metal, doom metal, speed metal, thrash metal, glam metal|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
Launched in 1983 by Martin Hooker, Music For Nations established itself as a European leader in the rock and metal world, with early signings like Tank, Exciter, Metallica (who had three gold albums while on MFN), Slayer and Megadeth paving the way. As MFN grew, the company expanded its operation to include not just licensed acts from the United States, but its own signings. It released albums by artists including Paradise Lost, Opeth, Anathema, Cradle of Filth, Testament and countless other metal bands. As well as the traditional metal bands MFN went on to sign up and coming UK bands such as Tigertailz who had a top 40 album while signed to Music For Nations.
In 2004, the label closed down. The company's catalogue — which had also previously included titles from artists as varied as Lost Horizon, Tigertailz and Frank Zappa — was transferred to parent company Zomba Records Group. In December 2011, The End Records signed a distribution deal for 50 of MFN's catalog albums.
In February 2015, MFN relaunched through Sony's commercial department, with plans to reissue albums from their catalogue including Anathema, Paradise Lost, Opeth, Spiritual Beggars, Cradle of Filth and others. They also intend to, in the spirit of the label's original purpose, sign original heavy talent for singles, EPs and compilation albums.
In October 2017, MFN signed two newcomers, metalcore band Bury Tomorrow and ambient rock band Blanket. In June 2018, American metalcore band Killswitch Engage joined MFN's UK roster; the band's forthcoming album will be marketed by Metal Blade Records in the United States, and internationally through Columbia/Sony.
- "BBC Wales Tigertailz Page". Bbc.co.uk.
- "Music For Nations closes its doors". Metalstorm.ee.
- "Exclusive: The End Records To Rerelease Music For Nations Catalog". Billboard.com. 5 December 2011. Retrieved 1 May 2020.
- "Legendary Label Relaunches". Kerrang.com.
- "Music For Nations signs Bury Tomorrow and Blanket". Complete Music Update. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Garner, George (5 June 2018). ""We are honoured and excited to be a part of this campaign": Music For Nations welcomes U.S. metal act Killswitch Engage | Labels". Musicweek.com. Retrieved 1 May 2020.