|Haseki Sultan of the Ottoman Empire|
|Tenure||until 12 August 1648|
|Died||12 September 1687|
Old Palace, Istanbul, Ottoman Empire
|Burial||14 September 1687|
After the deposition and death of Sultan Ibrahim in 1648, his eldest son, Sultan Mehmed IV ascended the throne, after which Muazzez settled in the Old Palace. This brought her thirty seven years of imprisonment in the Old Palace.
Death and aftermathEdit
In 1687, a large fire broke out near the Old Palace. By the next evening the fire had engulfed the Old Palace. The fire burned for five hours and the palace burned down in many places. Most of lives of people in the Old Palace were saved by the servants in the palace. Muazzez was so burned from the fire that she died the next day. Her body was taken to Üsküdar, and was buried near a palace around there. Thus, she was not Valide Sultan to her son because she died four years before Ahmed II's accession to the throne.
Wares belonging to Muazzez, were immediately placed in the imperial treasury. Her Jewelry was given to Behzad Kadın, Süğlün Kadın, and Șehsuvar Kadın, consorts of the new Sultan Suleiman II. But when her son ascended the throne in 1691, he took away the jewelry from the consorts of the recently deceased Sultan, and placed the jewelry in the imperial treasury.
In popular cultureEdit
- She is either called Hatice Muazzez Sultan, Hatice Sultan, or Muazzez Hanım.
- Sakaoğlu 2008, p. 351.
- Uluçay 2011, p. 97.
- Uluçay 2011, p. 97 and n. 11.
- Silahdar Findiklili Mehmed Agha (2012). ZEYL-İ FEZLEKE (1065-22 Ca.1106 / 1654-7 Şubat 1695). pp. 1069–70.
- Earthly Delights. BRILL. June 14, 2018. p. 60. ISBN 978-9-004-36754-8.
- Uluçay 2011, p. 97, 112-13.
- Sakaoğlu 2008, p. 387-88.
- Muhtesem Yüzyil: Kösem (TV Series 2015–2017) Poster Muhtesem Yüzyil: Kösem (2015–2017), retrieved 2019-10-08