Currently, the majority of motor vehicles worldwide are powered by gasoline or diesel. Other energy sources include ethanol, biodiesel, propane, compressed natural gas (CNG), electric batteries charged from an external source, and hydrogen. The use of alternative fuels is increasing, especially in Europe. Before deciding on a particular fuel type, some factors should be considered:
- The profitability of a solution.
- The workload in relation to one's own driving performance - if someone drives short distances, he will have very little benefit for himself and the environment.
- The refueling / charging infrastructure should be sufficiently developed so that one can use its vehicle flexibly without worry about finding a filling station.
- (www.dw.com), Deutsche Welle. "Alternative fuel vehicles on the rise in Europe | Business | DW | 04.05.2017". DW.COM. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Alternative fuels". Spritrechner.biz (in German). Retrieved 2016-10-09.