Morten Middelfart (born October 2, 1970) is a Danish-born, American entrepreneur, inventor, and technologist. He is best known for designing the TARGIT software for business intelligence and analytics. Middelfart is currently the founder/Chief Data Scientist of Lumina Analytics, CIO of Genomic Expression and founder of Social Quant. These organizations implement the data analytics techniques Middelfart has developed throughout his career. With seven U.S. patents for his inventions in business intelligence and analytics software, Middelfart holds the most patents of any Danish person working in software. Middelfart holds an MBA from Henley Management College, a PhD from Rushmore University, and a PhD from Aalborg University.
|Residence||Tampa Bay, Florida|
|Education||Henley Management College (MBA),|
Rushmore University (PhD.),
Aalborg University, (PhD.)
|Known for||Developer of TARGIT Business Intelligence software|
|Home town||Hjørring, Denmark|
|Title||Chief Data Scientist/Co-founder of Lumina Analytics, CIO of Genomic Expression, Founder of Social Quant|
Middelfart founded an analytics company, Morton Systems, in 1996, and became CTO of TARGIT following TARGIT's acquisition of his business in 1997. After the acquisition, TARGIT transitioned from reselling enterprise software systems to developing and selling business intelligence and analytics software. In 2014, Middelfart left TARGIT and founded Social Quant, a social media optimization service that uses analytics to find users. In 2015, Middelfart joined Genomic Expressions, which uses data analytics to offer treatment ideas for cancer patients. Also in 2015, Middelfart cofounded Lumina Analytics, which uses artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies to help clients uncover risk by sifting through massive amounts of information.
Middelfart holds seven U.S. patents (and 25 patents worldwide) for developments within business intelligence and analytics software, placing him among the top 1.8% of all active inventors. His inventions pertain primarily to graphical representation of OLAP-structured of data within a business intelligence and analytics platform, methods of retrieving data from the platform, and the processing of natural language and multi-lingual queries to the data warehouse through the platform. Middelfart is the most prolific Danish inventor in the field of database technology.
In addition to his patents, Middelfart is a pioneer in the use of the OODA loop process within business intelligence and data warehousing. The process, as first developed by USAF Colonel John Boyd, describes the way individuals and organizations gather information, decide on a course of action based on that information, and carry out the decision. Middelfart applied this concept to enterprise decision-making and crafted the TARGIT business intelligence software to incorporate the OODA loop's stages. Middelfart was recently named a finalist for a "CIO of the Year" award near his home in Tampa Bay.
Middelfart has one patent application pending with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, focused on the intelligent processing of user queries in natural language into a business intelligence platform. He is also directing further research into "human-computer synergy", Big Data, and how computing power and human interaction can be used to make faster, more effective decisions.
Middelfart's work has been cited in work dedicated to exploring knowledge base inspection. He has also published several peer-reviewed articles that outline his philosophy and technological developments in detail.
- "Assessment of Dr. Middelfart's patent activity as inventor" (PDF). Morton.dk. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Dr. Morten Middelfart, CTO of TARGIT - Morton's Lab". Targit.com. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Big data: Nr dine data kommer helt ud af kontrol". Computerworld.dk. 2012-08-31. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Tampa Twitter service startup earns local private equity". Tampa Bay Business Journal. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Your cancer treatment can be determined by an algorithm". ing.dk. 2015-03-22. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "Tampa tech firm raises $6.5 m". Tampa Bay Business Journal. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- "Hyper related OLAP". Patft.uspto.gov. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Integration of documents with OLAP using search". Patft.uspto.gov. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Method and user interface for making a presentation of data using meta-morphing". Patft.uspto.gov. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Presentation of data using meta-morphing". Patft.uspto.gov. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Database track history". Patft.uspto.gov. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Method of processing multi-lingual queries". Patft.uspto.gov. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Method and an apparatus for the processing of queries to a database". Patft.uspto.gov. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "US Patent & Trademark Office, Patent Full Text and Image Database". Patft.uspto.gov. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Dansk it-direktør får sin anden ph.d. - om algoritmer - Computerworld". Computerworld.dk. 2012-09-07. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Thinking Radically: Dr. Morten Middelfart, CTO of TARGIT » The TEC Blog". Blog.technologyevaluation.com. 2011-09-19. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Tampa Bay Technology Forum Announces Finalists for the 10th Annual Industry Achievement Awards". Tampa Bay News Wire. 2013-09-29. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Facts Beat Fear: Do You Fear Change? | Big Data". Dataversity. 2012-12-05. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "AAU og TARGIT indleder nyt forskningssamarbejde - Aalborg Universitet". Nyhedsarkiv.aau.dk. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Institut for Datalogi: Morten Middelfart, TARGIT, earns Ph.D. degree at Daisy". Cs.aau.dk. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Danskudviklet business intelligence forstår menneskesprog". Version2. 2013-07-04. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Comon". Computerworld.dk. 2011-04-28. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "CIO". Computerworld.dk. 2012-08-31. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Knowledge visualization for evaluation tasks". Academic.research.microsoft.com. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Using Sentinel Technology in the TARGIT BI Suite" (PDF). Comp.nus.edu.sg. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- Middelfart, Morten; Bach Pedersen, Torben (2011). The Meta-Morphing Model Used in TARGIT BI Suite. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 6999. pp. 364–370. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-24574-9_52. ISBN 978-3-642-24573-2.
- Middelfart, Morten; Pedersen, Torben Bach; Krogsgaard, Jan (2010). Efficient Discovery of Generalized Sentinel Rules. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 6262. pp. 32–48. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-15251-1_3. ISBN 978-3-642-15250-4.
- Middelfart, Morten; Pedersen, Torben Bach (2009). Discovering Sentinel Rules for Business Intelligence (PDF). Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 5690. pp. 592–602. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-03573-9_49. ISBN 978-3-642-03572-2.
- Middelfart, Morten (2007). "Improving business intelligence speed and quality through the OODA concept". Proceedings of the ACM tenth international workshop on Data warehousing and OLAP - DOLAP '07. Dl.acm.org. p. 97. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.581.2960. doi:10.1145/1317331.1317349. ISBN 9781595938275. Retrieved 20 November 2014.