Money in the Bank (2015)
Money in the Bank (2015) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event and WWE Network event produced by WWE. It took place on June 14, 2015, at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. It was the sixth event in the Money in the Bank chronology. It was also the first WWE pay-per-view event that was held in Columbus since 2004's Bad Blood. Money in the Bank was available for free to new subscribers on WWE's monthly subscription service of the WWE Network in over 140 countries.
|Money in the Bank (2015)|
Promotional poster featuring Dean Ambrose
|Date||June 14, 2015|
|WWE Network event chronology|
|Money in the Bank chronology|
Six matches were contested at the event (including with one match on the pre-show). The titular ladder match for the Money in the Bank contract was won by Sheamus. In the main event, Seth Rollins retained the WWE World Heavyweight Championship in a ladder match against Dean Ambrose. The event had 57,000 buys (excluding WWE Network views), down from the previous year's 122,000 buys.
WWE's Money in the Bank pay-per-view events are named after a ladder match, where multiple wrestlers use ladders to retrieve a briefcase hanging above the ring and the winner is guaranteed a match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at a time of their choosing within the next year. It was the first Money in the Bank event without John Cena involved in the main event.
The card consisted of seven matches that resulted from scripted storylines, where wrestlers portrayed villains, heroes, or less distinguishable characters in scripted events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches, with results predetermined by WWE's writers. Storylines were produced on WWE's weekly television shows, Raw and SmackDown.
At Elimination Chamber, Dolph Ziggler, Neville, Roman Reigns, Randy Orton, Kofi Kingston and Sheamus were revealed at the contestants in the Money in the Bank ladder match, in which the winner wins a contract for a WWE World Heavyweight Championship match at any time within the next year. On the June 4th episode of SmackDown, Kane was added to the match.
Also at Elimination Chamber, Dean Ambrose defeated WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins by disqualification. Though Rollins remained champion, Ambrose took the title belt with him. On the June 1st episode of Raw, Roman Reigns, speaking on Ambrose's behalf, challenged Rollins to a ladder match for the title at Money in the Bank, which Rollins accepted.
On the June 4th episode of SmackDown, The Prime Time Players defeated The Ascension and The Lucha Dragons in a triple threat tag team match to become the #1 contenders to face The New Day for the WWE Tag Team Championship at the event.
At Elimination Chamber, Ryback captured the vacant Intercontinental Championship in an Elimination Chamber match. On the June 1 episode of Raw, before Ryback was scheduled to defend the title against The Miz, Big Show attacked Miz and confronted Ryback. On June 8, Ryback was scheduled to defend the title against Big Show at the event.
On the June 1 episode of Raw, Nikki Bella retained the Divas Championship against Paige after Brie Bella switched with Nikki during the match and pinned Paige. On June 8, a rematch was scheduled for Money In The Bank.
At Elimination Chamber, R-Truth eliminated King Barrett during the Elimination Chamber match for the Intercontinental Championship. On the June 8 episode of Raw, a match between Truth and Barrett was set for the Money In The Bank preshow.
|English commentators||Michael Cole|
|John "Bradshaw" Layfield|
|Spanish commentators||Carlos Cabrera|
|Backstage interviewer||Renee Young|
|Ring announcers||Lilian Garcia|
|Pre-show panel||Renee Young|
The first match was the Money in the Bank ladder match involving Roman Reigns, Sheamus, Randy Orton, Dolph Ziggler (with Lana), Neville, Kofi Kingston, and Kane. Near the climax of the match, it seemed that Reigns was going to claim the briefcase until Bray Wyatt emerged and attacked him, preventing him from retrieving the briefcase. The end of the match saw Sheamus throwing Neville off the ladder and retrieving the briefcase thus winning the match.
Next, Nikki Bella defended the WWE Divas Championship against Paige. Halfway through the match, Paige executed a "Ram-Paige" for a near-fall. As the referee was focusing on Paige, Nikki then switched places with her sister Brie (who was hiding under the ring). Paige secured a roll-up victory for the win and the championship. A surprised Paige thought that she had won until Brie revealed her face to the referee. The match was continued and Nikki executed a "Rack Attack" on Paige to score a pinfall.
In the third match, Ryback defended the WWE Intercontinental Championship against Big Show. The Miz was on commentary for the match. Near the end of the match, Show executed a "Knockout Punch" on Ryback who rolled out the ring. As Show rolled Ryback in for the pin, Miz attacked Show, causing a disqualification.
After this, NXT Champion Kevin Owens wrestled WWE United States Champion John Cena. The match went back and forth with a lot of counters and finishers. Owens mocked Cena with his "you can't see me" gesture, but Cena responded with the same move. Owens executed a pop-up powerbomb for a two count while Cena responded with an "Attitude Adjustment" (AA) for a two count. Cena executed another "AA" for another two count. Cena eventually executed a third AA for the decisive pin. After the match, Owens powerbombed Cena on the ring apron and walked off.
In the penultimate match, The New Day (Big E and Xavier Woods) defended the WWE Tag Team Championship against The Prime Time Players (Titus O'Neil and Darren Young). O'Neil won the match for his team by pinning Woods after a "Clash of the Titus" to win the titles.
In the main event, Seth Rollins defended the WWE World Heavyweight Championship against Dean Ambrose in a ladder match. Ambrose executed "Dirty Deeds" on Rollins on the Spanish announce table. The climax saw both Ambrose and Rollins jostle atop the ladders for the championship. The championship was accidentally unhooked and as Rollins and Ambrose came crashing down, it was Rollins who held onto the title, thereby winning the match and retaining the title.
After retaining the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, Seth Rollins celebrated on the following night episode of Raw by renaming it "Monday Night Rollins", before being interrupted and attacked by Dean Ambrose, forcing Rollins to retreat. Ambrose then sat on a steel chair in the ring waiting for Rollins to return, but instead ended up facing Sheamus, whom he defeated thanks to a distraction by Randy Orton. Orton attacked Sheamus after the match leading to a feud between the two headed into both Battleground and SummerSlam. Later that night, Triple H revealed that Seth Rollins' next challenger for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at Battleground would be Brock Lesnar, who return from his suspension and his rematch clause for the title has been accepted by The Authority doing it on Seth's behalf. At Battleground The Undertaker returned and attacked Lesnar, beating Rollins via disqualification, costing Lesnar his chance to win the title back.
After feeling humiliated following his loss to John Cena, Kevin Owens challenged Cena to a match for the WWE United States Championship at Battleground, which Cena accepted on the June 22 Raw. At The Beast in the East, Owens lost the NXT Championship to Finn Bálor. At Battleground, Cena retained the United States Championship to end their feud.
After the WWE Intercontinental Championship match that has ended on a disqualification, a triple threat match between Ryback, Big Show and The Miz for the Intercontinental championship was scheduled for Battleground. However, Ryback had suffered a Staph Infection on his right knee, which caused the match to be cancelled. Ryback would later recover and the match was rescheduled for SummerSlam, where Ryback would retain his title after pinning The Miz.
On the July 13 episode of Raw Stephanie McMahon confronted Team Bella with Paige and announced a "Divas revolution" by introducing the NXT wrestlers Charlotte, Becky Lynch and NXT Women's champion Sasha Banks into the roster, where McMahon had Charlotte and Lynch team with Paige to become Team PCB and Sasha Banks team with Naomi and Tamina to become Team B.A.D. The two teams then brawled with Team Bella. At Battleground, Charlotte (who was representing Team PCB) defeated Brie Bella of Team Bella and Sasha Banks of Team B.A.D in a triple threat match.
Sheamus twice tried to cash-in his Money in the Bank contract on Seth Rollins for a WWE World Heavyweight Championship match but his attempts were denied, first by Randy Orton as payback for costing him a title match by disqualification against Rollins on August 10 episode of Raw and the second by Kane after Rollins retained his title against Sting at Night of Champions. However, Rollins vacated the title on November 4, after suffering multiple knee injuries at a live event in Dublin, Ireland. Sheamus would eventually cash-in his contract on Roman Reigns after the latter won the vacant WWE World Heavyweight Championship at Survivor Series and pinned him to win the title.
|1P||R-Truth defeated King Barrett||Singles match||5:41|
|2||Sheamus defeated Dolph Ziggler, Kane, Kofi Kingston, Neville, Randy Orton and Roman Reigns||Money in the Bank ladder match for a WWE World Heavyweight Championship match contract||20:50|
|3||Nikki Bella (c) defeated Paige||Singles match for the WWE Divas Championship||11:18|
|4||Big Show defeated Ryback (c) by disqualification||Singles match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship||5:28|
|5||John Cena (US) defeated Kevin Owens (NXT)||Singles match||19:15|
|6||The Prime Time Players (Darren Young and Titus O'Neil) defeated The New Day (Big E and Xavier Woods) (c)||Tag team match for the WWE Tag Team Championship||5:48|
|7||Seth Rollins (c) defeated Dean Ambrose||Ladder match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship||35:40|
- Clark, Ryan. "WWE Money In The Bank Attendance". Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- Johnson, Mike. "COMPLETE 2015 WWE PPV SCHEDULE". pwinsider.com. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Namako, Jason. "New subscribers get the WWE Network free in June". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "For new WWE Network subscribers, the month of June is free, including Money in the Bank". WWE. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "New Subscribers Get May Free Including Money in the Bank". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Namako, Jason. "Extreme Rules, Payback and MITB 2015 PPV buyrate figures". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Shields, Brian; Sullivan, Kevin (2009). WWE: History of WrestleMania. p. 59.
- Caldwell, James. "Caldwell's WWE Money in the Bank PPV results 7/17: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV – Cena vs. Punk, MITB ladder matches". PWTorch.com. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Caldwell, James. "Caldwell's WWE Money in the Bank PPV results 7/18: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV". PWTorch.com. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Bishop, Matt. "Punk, Cena, Ziggler shine at Money in the Bank". SLAM! Sports: Wrestling. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Salha, Ibrahim. "WWE Money in the Bank 2014 results: Who was victorious in the ladder matches?". The Independent. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on November 18, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Live & Televised Entertainment". WWE. Archived from the original on February 26, 2009. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- Caldwell, James. "CALDWELL'S WWE E. CHAMBER PPV REPORT 5/31: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of WWE Title match, Cena vs. Owens, two Elimination Chamber matches, more". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Holland, Dustin. "WWE Smackdown Results - 6/4/15 (Reigns vs. Sheamus)". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- Tedesco, Mike. "WWE RAW Results - 6/1/15 (Reigns competes three times)". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- Tedesco, Mike. "WWE RAW Results - 6/8/15 (Rollins takes on J&J Security)". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- Augustine, Bernie (June 15, 2015). "WWE pays tribute to Dusty Rhodes during Money in the Bank pay-per-view event". NY Daily News. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Caldwell, James. "CALDWELL'S MITB PPV RESULTS 6/14 (pre-show): Complete "virtual-time" coverage of Dusty Rhodes tributes, Dolph sigler vs. Konor more". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- Caldwell, James. "CALDWELL'S WWE MITB PPV RESULTS 6/14: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of Dusty Rhodes 10-bell salute, WWE Title match, MITB match, Cena vs. Owens II, more". PWTorch.com. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Laboon, Jeff. "R-Truth def. King Barrett (Kickoff Match)". WWE. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- Laboon, Jeff. "Sheamus wins the Money in the Bank Contract Ladder Match". WWE. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Summerville, James. "Divas Champion Nikki Bella def. Paige". WWE. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- Pappolla, Ryan. "Big Show def. Intercontinental Champion Ryback via Disqualification". WWE. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- Melok, Bobby. "John Cena def. Kevin Owens". WWE. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Burdick, Michael. "The Prime Time Players def. The New Day to win the WWE Tag Team Championship". WWE. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- Clapp, John. "WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins def. Dean Ambrose". WWE. Retrieved 2 June 2015.