Elimination Chamber (2015)
Elimination Chamber (2015) (known as No Escape (2015) in Germany) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event and WWE Network event produced by WWE. It took place on May 31, 2015, at the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, Texas. The sixth Elimination Chamber event, it was the first and only edition to be held in May; previous and future incarnations have taken place in February. Although advertised as being exclusive to the WWE Network, the event ultimately aired via traditional pay-per-view outlets in various territories.[a]
|Elimination Chamber (2015)|
|Date||May 31, 2015|
|City||Corpus Christi, Texas|
|Venue||American Bank Center|
|WWE Network event chronology|
|Elimination Chamber chronology|
Seven matches were contested at the event, including one match on the pre-show. The event was the first to include a tag-team Chamber match. In the main event, Dean Ambrose defeated WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins by disqualification. Also, Kevin Owens defeated John Cena in his debut match at the event.
The event was originally scheduled to be a house show, a wrestling show that is not televised, but it was announced during the May 11th Raw that Elimination Chamber would return and the show would be televised. The annual Elimination Chamber event was initially replaced during February by Fastlane because many arenas were not able to physically support the Elimination Chamber structure, thus making it easier to book the February pay-per-view event without the structure. WWE's other originally scheduled live event for May 31 in Greenville, South Carolina was canceled in order to bring the entire WWE roster to Corpus Christi, replaced by an upcoming episode of Raw in Greenville for November 16.
The card consisted of eight matches, including one on the preshow, that resulted from scripted storylines, where wrestlers portrayed villains, heroes, or less distinguishable characters in scripted events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches, with results predetermined by WWE's writers. Storylines between the characters played out on WWE's primary television programs, Raw and SmackDown.
On May 17, an Elimination Chamber match for the vacant Intercontinental Championship was scheduled for the event. On the May 18 episode of Raw, R-Truth, Sheamus, King Barrett, Ryback, Dolph Ziggler, and Rusev were added to the match. On May 31, Rusev was declared unable to compete because of an injury sustained three nights prior on SmackDown. Rusev was replaced by Mark Henry.
At Payback, The New Day defeated Tyson Kidd and Cesaro to retain the Tag Team Championship in a 2-out-of-3 falls Tag team match. Later in the event, The New Day were scheduled to defend the titles in a Tag team Elimination Chamber match at the event. On the May 18 episode of Raw, Kidd and Cesaro, Los Matadores, The Ascension, The Lucha Dragons, and The Prime Time Players were revealed as challengers.
On the May 18 episode of Raw, NXT Champion Kevin Owens answered United States Champion John Cena's weekly United States Championship Open Challenge. However, instead of fighting Cena, Owens attacked him, saying they would fight on his "own terms". Later in the night, Owens was granted a match to face Cena at the event.
On the May 18 episode of Raw, Dean Ambrose challenged WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins to a title match but Rollins refused. Later in the night, Ambrose attacked Rollins until The Authority granted Ambrose a title match against Rollins at Elimination Chamber. On the last Raw before the event, The Authority tried to avoid the match by having Ambrose taken away from the arena in a police van before the official contract signing. However, Ambrose drove the van back into the arena and signed the contract for the match.
At Payback, Naomi and Tamina defeated The Bella Twins. After Nikki defeated Naomi by disqualification in a Divas Championship match on the May 18 episode of Raw, Paige returned from injury and attacked both contestants. On the May 21 episode of SmackDown, Naomi and Tamina attacked Paige before Nikki attacked Naomi, Tamina, and Paige. Nikki was then scheduled to defend the title against Paige and Naomi in a triple threat match at the event with Tamina banned from ringside.
On the May 18 episode of Raw, Bo Dallas confronted Neville during an interview and later, after Neville had lost a match to King Barrett, attacked Neville. On the May 25 episode of Raw, after Neville defeated Stardust, Dallas attacked Neville again. A match between the two was scheduled for the event.
|English commentators||Michael Cole|
|John "Bradshaw" Layfield|
|Spanish commentators||Carlos Cabrera|
|Backstage interviewer||Tom Phillips|
|Ring announcers||Lilian Garcia|
|Pre-show panel||Renee Young|
The Miz hosted an edition of "Miz TV", with Daniel Bryan as his guest. The Miz began to take credit for Bryan's accomplishments, which led to Bryan calling out The Meta Powers (Curtis Axel and Macho Mandow). The Meta Powers attacked The Miz to end the segment.
The actual pay-per-view opened with the Elimination Chamber tag team match for the WWE Tag Team Championship. The Ascension (Konnor and Viktor) entered at #1 whilst The Lucha Dragons (Kalisto and Sin Cara) entered at #2. Tyson Kidd and Cesaro entered at #3 and Los Matadores (Primo and Epico) entered at #4, along with their mascot El Torito. Los Matadores were eliminated by The Acension when Diego was pinned by Konnor after the "Fall of Man". The Lucha Dragons were eliminated by The Ascension when Kalisto was pinned by Konnor after the "Fall of Man". The Prime Time Players (Darren Young and Titus O'Neil) entered at #5 and eliminated The Ascension when Young pinned Viktor after a "Gut Check". The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston, and Xavier Woods) entered at #6. Cesaro and Kidd were eliminated by The Prime Time Players when Young pinned Cesaro with a schoolboy. The Prime Time Players were eliminated when O'Neil was pinned by Kingston after a "Trouble in Paradise", resulting in The New Day retaining the WWE Tag Team Championship.
Next, Nikki Bella defended the WWE Divas Championship against Paige and Naomi. Near the end of the match, Naomi performed an inverted frankensteiner on Paige for a near-fall and then attempted an enzuigiri on Nikki. Nikki countered into a "Rack Attack" to retain the title.
After that, NXT Champion Kevin Owens faced WWE United States Champion John Cena. Owens executed a pop-up powerbomb on Cena for a near-fall. Cena performed an "Attitude Adjustment" on Owens for a near-fall. Owens taunted and mocked Cena’s “you can’t see me” gesture, but Cena applied the STF, only for Owens to escape. Owens executed an "Attitude Adjustment" on Cena for a near-fall. Cena performed a clothesline on Owens and attempted another one, but Owens executed a second pop-up powerbomb on Cena to win the match.
In the fourth match, Neville faced Bo Dallas. At the end of the match, as Dallas attempted a "Bo-Dog", Neville countered into an enzuigiri on Dallas. Neville executed a "Red Arrow" on Dallas to win the match.
Next was the Elimination Chamber match for the vacant WWE Intercontinental Championship. King Barrett and Dolph Ziggler began the match as the first two participants. R-Truth entered at #3, and Mark Henry entered the match early at #4 after Barrett tackled Ziggler into Henry's Pod, breaking the Pod. Ryback entered at #5. Barrett was eliminated by R-Truth following a superkick from Ziggler, Snake eyes from Ryback and a "Lie Detector" from R-Truth. Sheamus entered at #6. R-Truth was eliminated by Ryback following "Shell Shocked". Henry was eliminated by Sheamus following a "Brogue Kick". Ziggler was eliminated by Sheamus following a "Brogue Kick". Ryback pinned Sheamus following "Shell Shocked", thus winning his first Intercontinental Championship and his first title in WWE overall.
In the main event, Seth Rollins defended the WWE World Heavyweight Championship against Dean Ambrose. At the end of the match, Ambrose attempted a diving elbow drop, but Rollins pulled the referee in front of him who was knocked down. Rollins attempted a Phoenix splash, but Ambrose avoided it and pinned Rollins after a "Dirty Deeds", giving Ambrose the championship. However, the decision was changed to being Rollins being disqualified due to using the referee as a guard, so the championship didn't change hands. After the match, Rollins, Kane, Jamie Noble and Joey Mercury attacked Ambrose. Roman Reigns then appeared, attacking Rollins with a superman punch and threw the title belt to Ambrose. Reigns then fought off Kane with a spear and Noble and Mercury with superman punches. The event ended with Ambrose and Reigns leaving through the crowd with the championship.
The event received generally mixed reviews. Jason Powell of "ProWrestling.net" found both Elimination Chamber matches "disappointing"; he called the first a "train wreck opener", and the second "flat". Mike Tedesco of Wrestleview.com thought the event was excellent, particularly the Owens vs. Cena match while also praising the Tag Team Elimination Chamber match. Nolan Howells of "Slam Sports" criticized the Intercontinental Championship Elimination Chamber match and negative score of 1.75 out of 5, but praised the John Cena vs. Kevin Owens match and gave it 4.5 out of 5. Howells gave the main event a 3 out of 5. He wrote "The world title match was a truly great match ruined by a truly awful finish. Predictable and put a whole set of nails in the coffin of an already dead crowd."
After Dean Ambrose stole the WWE World Heavyweight Championship belt, on the following night's episode of Raw, The Authority demanded that Ambrose have a rematch with Rollins. Roman Reigns then appeared to tell them that Ambrose would be coming back with the belt only if Rollins was man enough for the title at Money in the Bank in a Ladder Match. Despite The Authority's objections, Rollins accepted the challenge. At Money in the Bank, Rollins won against Ambrose without any interference from The Authority.
Roman Reigns tried to get another shot at the WWE World Heavyweight Championship by qualifying in the Money in the Bank Ladder Match at Money in the Bank. Reigns became close to winning the match and the Money in the Bank contract until Bray Wyatt interfered and cost Reigns the match. This began a feud between Reigns and Wyatt that would last until Hell in a Cell where Reigns defeated Wyatt in a Hell in a Cell match.
Tag Team Championship Elimination Chamber detailsEdit
|Eliminated||Wrestler (Team)||Entered||Eliminated by||Method||Time|
|1||Diego (Los Matadores)||4||Konnor and Viktor (The Ascension)||Pinfall||10:22|
|2||Kalisto (The Lucha Dragons)||2||Konnor (The Ascension)||Pinfall||12:45|
|3||Viktor ( The Ascension)||1||Darren Young (The Prime Time Player)||Submission||13:30|
|4||Cesaro (Tyson Kidd and Cesaro)||3||Darren Young (The Prime Time Player)||Pinfall||18:28|
|5||Titus O'Neil (The Prime Time Player)||5||Big E, Kofi Kingston, and Xavier Woods (The New Day)||Pinfall||23:40|
|Winner||Big E, Kofi Kingston, and Xavier Woods (The New Day) (c)||6|
Intercontinental Championship Elimination Chamber detailsEdit
- Namako, Jason. "WWE attendance (5/29-6/1, Elimination Chamber, TV Tapings)". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Martin, Adam. "Elimination Chamber special announced for WWE Network". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Elimination Chamber returns, exclusively on WWE Network". WWE. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "How to watch WWE pay-per-views: Bahrain". WWE. Archived from the original on 2 June 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "How to watch WWE pay-per-views: Egypt". WWE. Archived from the original on 2 June 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- "How to watch WWE pay-per-views: Germany". WWE. Archived from the original on 2 June 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2015.
- WWE Live! show rescheduledGreenville Online (05/12/2015)
- Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on November 18, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Live & Televised Entertainment". WWE. Archived from the original on February 26, 2009. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- Caldwell, James. "CALDWELL'S PAYBACK PPV REPORT 5/17: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of four-way WWE Title match, I Quit War, more". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- Tedesco, Mike. "WWE RAW Results – 5/18/15 (New #1 Contender announced)". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
- "Rusev not medically cleared to compete tonight at Elimination Chamber 2015". WWE.com. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Martin, Adam. "Rusev pulled from Elimination Chamber event tonight". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Matthew, Artus. "Ryback def. Dolph Ziggler, R-Truth, Mark Henry, Sheamus and King Barrett in an Intercontinental Championship Elimination Chamber Match". WWE. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Martin, Adam. "WWE Smackdown Results – 5/21/15 (Ambrose vs. Wyatt)". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- Tedesco, Mike. "WWE RAW Results – 5/25/15 (Final hype for Elimination Chamber)". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 26 May 2015.
- Tedesco, Mike. "5/31 Elimination Chamber: Excellent Event". wrestleview.com. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Caldwell, James. "CALDWELL'S E. CHAMBER PPV REPORT 5/31 (pre-show): Complete coverage of Daniel Bryan's TV return on Miz TV, more". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Caldwell, James. "CALDWELL'S WWE E. CHAMBER PPV REPORT 5/31: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of WWE Title match, Cena vs. Owens, two Elimination Chamber matches, more". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Stardust def. Zack Ryder (Kickoff Match)". WWE. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Powers, Kevin. "The New Day won the WWE Tag Team Championship Elimination Chamber Match". WWE. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Clapp, John. "Divas Champion Nikki Bella def. Naomi and Paige in a Triple Threat Match". WWE. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Bobby, Melock. "NXT Champion Kevin Owens def. United States Champion John Cena Singles match: Non-Title)". WWE. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Jeff, Laboon. "Neville def. Bo Dallas". WWE. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Anthony, Benigno. "Dean Ambrose def. WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins via Disqualification". WWE. Retrieved 31 May 2015.