Monasteraden (Irish: Mainistir Réadáin, meaning 'Redan's monastery') is a village in County Sligo, Ireland. The village is located on the shores of Lough Gara. St Aiden's church is the village's church. Other sites include Lough Gara Lodge, Slí na Croí's Roundhouse Ecolodge, Drury's pub and the general store.
|Time zone||UTC+0 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-1 (IST (WEST))|
|Irish Grid Reference|
Monasteraden lies to the west of Lough Gara and with the Curlew Mountains inlier of sandstones and conglomerates to the North. To the west lies the townland of Clogher with Edmondstown and Ballaghaderreen in the neighbouring County Roscommon.
Culture and communityEdit
There is a holy well called St Attractas and that is where many people used to get their drinking water. The lake is used for fishing for the brown trout and is divided by the bridge at Clooncunny.
Island Road railway station served Monasteraden and used to have many trains passing by on the Ballaghaderreen branch line with connections to Dublin but that was closed in 1963 and the station building is a private home. The nearest railway station is now Boyle, some 10 miles (16 km) away.
One Bus Éireann service a week stops at Monasteraden. The nearest bus station is in Ballaghaderreen, which is about 4 miles (6.4 km) miles away and has several buses travelling to and from Dublin daily.
There is a national school, St. Aiden's in Monasteraden. They have been particularly noted for their work with film, including producing a 32-minute movie entitled "The Train" bringing together rare footage and interviews with local people associated with the Ballaghaderreen branch line which had a station serving they village.
- "Mainistir Réadáin/Monasterredan". Placenames Database of Ireland (logainm.ie). Retrieved 14 October 2021.
- Cotton, D. "Curlew Mountains (419 to 359 Ma)". IT Sligo. Archived from the original on 8 October 2017. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Estate: MacDermott (Coolavin)". Landed Estates Database. Retrieved 17 November 2018.
- "Monasteraden". Ask About Ireland. St Attracta's Well. Archived from the original on 18 December 2017. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Couny Skigo Game Angling Guide". Inland Fisheries Ireland. Lough Gara. Archived from the original on 9 February 2018. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Island Road Station, Clogher, County Sligo". National Inventory of Architectural Hertitage. Archived from the original on 7 October 2017. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "All aboard . . . Monasteraden N.S. pupils recapture the magic of Kilfree to Ballaghaderreen train". The Sligo Champion. 8 July 2009. Retrieved 3 October 2017.