The Model Alliance is a not-for-profit research, policy and advocacy organization in the fashion industry.
|Key people||Sara Ziff, President|
In addition to providing a discreet grievance reporting service, the Model Alliance advocates for the enforcement of existing child labor and contract laws, promotes equal opportunity and fosters a culture of accountability in the fashion industry.
In June 2013, the Model Alliance announced that New York State Senators Jeffrey Klein and Diane Savino had proposed legislation that would afford child models the same protections as all other child performers working in New York.
In October 2013, the Model Alliance announced that Governor Andrew M. Cuomo signed the child model bill (A.7787/S.5486) into law in New York State. In November 2013, the child model law was enacted and affords child models the same protections as other child performers working in New York State.
Sara Ziff is a model-turned-activist who was inspired to begin the Alliance based on her experiences in the modeling industry as a youth. At age 14, she was invited to the house of a photographer and told to take all her clothes off; later, at age 15, she went to another fashion shoot where drugs were available freely.
- Drew Grant (September 4, 2012). "The Sorrow and the Pretty: Model Alliance Looks to Empower the Ridiculously Good-Looking". The New York Observer. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- "Model Alliance Seeks to Better Working Conditions in Fashion World". ABA Journal. Eriq Gardner. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- Greenhouse, Steven (2013-12-23). "A New Alliance Steps Up to Protect a New Generation of Models". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- Daniel Lehman (April 4, 2012). "Supermodel Sara Ziff Forms Model Alliance to Save Models and Fashion". Backstage. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- "The Model Alliance – Board of Directors". Model Alliance. Retrieved February 8, 2014.
- Rebecca Hiscott (June 6, 2013). "Pretty Interesting: Legislators Rally for Catwalk Kiddies". The New York Observer. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- Eric Wilson (October 22, 2013). "New York Sets Work Rules for Young Models". The New York Times. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Rodgers, Rachel F.; Ziff, Sara; Lowy, Alice S.; Yu, Kimberly; Austin, S. Bryn (2017-03-01). "Results of a strategic science study to inform policies targeting extreme thinness standards in the fashion industry". International Journal of Eating Disorders. 50 (3): 284–292. doi:10.1002/eat.22682. ISSN 1098-108X.
- "A New Study Takes on Eating Disorders in Modeling". Vogue. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- Steven Greenhouse (December 23, 2013). "A New Alliance Steps Up to Protect a New Generation of Models". The New York Times. Retrieved February 25, 2014.