Mitsuhiro Yanagida ForMemRS (柳田充弘, Yanagida Mitsuhiro, born April 4, 1941, in Tokyo) is a Japanese molecular biologist known for research on cell cycle and chromosome structure using the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. He was elected as a foreign member of the Royal Society on 11 May 2000.
the photo published by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
|Alma mater||University of Tokyo|
|Known for||Cell Cycle|
|Awards||Order of Culture (2011)|
Imperial Prize of the Japan Academy (2003)
Asahi Prize (2000)
|Institutions||Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology|
Education and early lifeEdit
Career and researchEdit
He was Professor of Biophysics at Kyoto University from 1977 to 2004, where he served as Dean of Graduate School of Biostudies from 2001 to 2003. After retiring from Kyoto University and becoming Professor Emeritus, he has been Professor of the G0 Cell Unit at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology.
Awards and honorsEdit
- "Mitsuhiro Yanagida". Kyoto University. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- "Advisors". Nature Publishing Group. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- Hoffman CS; Wood V; Fantes PA. (Oct 2015). "An Ancient Yeast for Young Geneticists: A Primer on the Schizosaccharomyces pombe Model System". Genetics. 201 (2): 403–23. doi:10.1534/genetics.115.181503. PMC 4596657. PMID 26447128.
- "OIST Principal Investigator Dr. Mitsuhiro Yanagida to Become an Honorary Fellow of the Society of Biology" (Press release). Okinawa, Japan: Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University. 27 September 2010. Archived from the original on 6 September 2012. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- "Specially Appointed Professor Mitsuhiro Yanagida of the Graduate School of Biostudies received the title of Honorary Fellow of the Society of Biology". 29 September 2010. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- "OIST G0 Cell Unit". 30 July 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- Prof. Mitsuhiro Yanagida elected to US National Academy of Sciences