Mircea Dumitrescu (September 3, 1926 – March 11, 2005) was a film critic, professor and essayist. He was known especially for his cinematography course accompanied by screenings in the main university cities in Romania.
|Died||March 11, 2005 (aged 78)|
|Resting place||Cemetery of St. Nicholas's Church, Dumitrești|
|Alma mater||University of Bucharest|
|Employer||Student's Culture House in Bucharest|
|Known for||cinematography course|
|Parent(s)||Elena Şisman, Victor Dumitrescu|
Mircea Dumitrescu was born in Dumitrești, Vrancea County to Elena Şisman and Victor Dumitrescu (a physician), but he was brought up in Buzău. His father, Victor Dumitrescu, served at the "Carol I" Hospital in Dumitrești. Between 1934 and 1946, he studied in Buzău and Craiova (Liceul militar „Dimitrie A. Sturdza”), but Dumitrescu completed his high school just in the 1960s. He graduated from University of Bucharest and worked for Student's Culture House in Bucharest (1970–2005). After 1970, he supported a cinematography course (focused on the history, theory and aesthetics of film) accompanied by screenings in the main university cities in Romania: Bucharest, Iaşi, Târgu Mureş, Cluj-Napoca, Timişoara, Craiova, Braşov. Mircea Dumitrescu was a member of the Romanian Filmmakers Union (1993).
After 1992, he wrote articles, reviews, and film essays for: "Tribuna" (Cluj-Napoca), "Timpul" (Iaşi), "Tribuna Ardealului" (Cluj-Napoca), "Alternativa" (Braşov), "Monitorul" (Iaşi), "Util Expres" (Braşov), "Transilvania Expres" (Braşov), "Argument" (Cluj-Napoca), "Cuvântul libertăţii" (Craiova), "Jurnal de Mureş" (Târgu Mureş), "Monitorul de Suceava" (Suceava), "Jurnal de Vrancea" (Focşani), "Biserica şi problemele vremi" (Iaşi), "Tex–Caleidoscop" (Braşov), "Transilvania Jurnal" (Braşov), "Ideea creştină" (Iaşi), "Adevărul de Cluj" (Cluj-Napoca), "Gazeta de Transilvania" (Braşov), "Cotidianul – Week-end" (Bucharest), Revista Respiro (www.revistarespiro.com). Mircea Dumitrescu collaborated with television stations TVS Holding (Braşov) and Europa Nova (Iaşi). Dumitrescu was a member of "Asociaţia Ziariştilor Români" after 1994.
- Almanahul Râmnicului, 1933
- Marian Găloiu, Dumitreştii de ieri, Editura Rafet, Râmnicu Sărat, 2011, pp.90-91.
- "PROF. MIRCEA DUMITRESCU". Archived from the original on 8 March 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- Sorin Tudose. "Prof. MIRCEA DUMITRESCU". Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- Mircea Dumitrescu, "Istoria cinematografiei universale. Eseuri", vol. 1, Noesis Cultural Society, 2001, ISBN 973-8342-03-1.
- (in Romanian) on YouTube
- (in Romanian) Moştenirea profesorului Dumitrescu
- (in Romanian) PROF. MIRCEA DUMITRESCU
- (in Romanian) (VIDEO!!!)O viata daruita cinematografiei Domnul Cinema - Mircea Dumitrescu si incendiara sa critica de film
- (in Romanian) Sorin Tudose, Prof. MIRCEA DUMITRESCU
- (in Romanian) CRITICĂ DE FILM Andrzej Wajda
- (in Romanian) Mona Mamulea, L’Enfer c’est moi
- (in Romanian)  Cristi Puiu – Marfa şi banii de Mircea Dumitrescu