Minister of Justice (France)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Minister of Justice (French: Ministre de la Justice) known as Minister of Justice - Keeper of the Seals (Ministre de la Justice - Garde des Sceaux), is a cabinet position in the French Government. The current Minister of Justice is Éric Dupond-Moretti. The ministry is headquartered in Paris.
|Minister of Justice and Keeper of the Seals of the French Republic
Ministre de la Justice et Garde des Sceaux
|Ministry of Justice|
|Reports to||President of the Republic|
|Seat||Place Vendôme, Paris 1st, France|
|Term length||No fixed term|
|Formation||v. 497 |
v. 750: office of Keeper of the Seals of France
1790 : Ministry of Justice
The roles of the minister are to:
- oversee the building, maintenance and administration of courts;
- sit as vice-president of the judicial council (which oversees the judicial performance and advises on prosecutiorial performance);
- supervise public prosecutions;
- direct corrections and the prison system
- propose legislation affecting civil or criminal law or procedure.
The Minister of Justice also holds the ceremonial office of Keeper of the Seals and, as such, is custodian of the Great Seal of France. This symbolic role is still shown in the order of words of the minister's official designation, "Keeper of Seals, Minister of Justice" (Garde des Sceaux, Ministre de la Justice).
France's Ministry of Justice might oversee the administration of justice in French Guiana, French Polynesia, Guadeloupe, Jersey, Martinique, Mayotte, New Caledonia, Réunion, Saint-Barthélemy, Saint-Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon and Wallis and Futuna.
List of ministers of JusticeEdit
- "Contact." Ministry of Justice. Updated on 21 may 2012.
- Travaillot, Françoise. "French Ministry of Justice." Ministry of Justice (France). 15 September. 1. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- "Juridictions judiciaires d'outre-mer". justice.gouv.fr (in French). Retrieved 11 July 2018.
- "Mayotte". justice.gouv.fr (in French). Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon". Ministère des Outre-mer (in French). Retrieved 19 July 2018.
- Ministry of Justice (in French)