Mike White (quarterback)
White in 2017
|Born:||March 25, 1995|
Pembroke Pines, Florida
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school:||NSU University School|
(Fort Lauderdale, Florida)
|NFL Draft:||2018 / Round: 5 / Pick: 171|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
White attended NSU University School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He did not become a starter at quarterback until his senior season, passing for 2,201 yards, 22 touchdowns and two interceptions and led his team to victory in the 3A state championship. He was named Class 3A Florida Player of the Year. He committed to the University of South Florida (USF) to play college football.
White started five games as a true freshman at South Florida in 2013, but struggled completing 93 of 175 passes for 1,083 yards with three touchdowns and 9 interceptions.
Prior to his sophomore season in 2014, he was named the starting quarterback. In 10 starts, he completed 122 of 242 passes for 1,639 yards, eight touchdowns, and seven interceptions. In 2015, he transferred to Western Kentucky University after South Florida head coach Willie Taggart switched from a pro-style attack to a spread offense.
After sitting out the year due to NCAA transfer rules, White was named the starting quarterback to open the 2016 season, taking over the recently graduated Brandon Doughty. He started all 14 games, completing 280 of 416 passes for 4,363 yards with 37 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He compiled impressive stats even though he sat out in the second halves of different games.
He returned as the starter his senior year in 2017, completing 368 of 560 passes for 4,177 yards, 26 touchdowns, and eight interceptions.
On November 30, 2017, it was announced that White had accepted his invitation to play in the 2018 Senior Bowl. On January 27, 2018, White completed 8 of 11 pass attempts for 128-yards and two touchdowns as part of Houston Texans head coach Bill O'Brien's South team that defeated the North 45–16 in the 2018 Reese's Senior Bowl. White significantly helped his draft stock with his Senior Bowl performance.
|Western Kentucky QB Mike White|
|Senior Bowl: Mike White 63-yard TD Pass|
|Senior Bowl: Mike White 14-yard TD Pass|
He attended the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis and completed all of the combine and positional drills. His draft rise was hampered by his overall performance after he put up some of the lowest marks among all quarterbacks in combine drills. On March 30, 2018, White participated at Western Kentucky's pro day, but opted to stand on his combine numbers and only performed positional and passing drills. He attended a pre-draft visits with the Indianapolis Colts, Tennessee Titans, and Miami Dolphins and also performed a private workout for the New England Patriots. At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, White was projected to be a third or fourth round pick by the majority of NFL draft experts and scouts. He was ranked the eighth best quarterback prospect in the draft by DraftScout.com and was ranked the ninth best quarterback by Scouts Inc.
|Mike White's NFL Combine Workout|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad|
|6 ft 5 in
|31 7⁄8 in
|9 1⁄2 in
|5.07 s||1.73 s||2.91 s||4.40 s||7.40 s||27 in
|8 ft 0 in|
|All values from NFL Combine|
The Dallas Cowboys selected White in the fifth round (171st overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. White was the eighth quarterback drafted in 2018. He became the second Western Kentucky quarterback to be drafted into the NFL and surpassed Brandon Doughty (2016) as the highest drafted quarterback from Western Kentucky.
|Cowboys draft Mike White 171st overall|
|2018 NFL Draft Profile: Mike White|
In 2019, he was given the opportunity to compete during the preseason for the backup job behind Dak Prescott. On August 31, White was waived after the team decided to carry just two quarterbacks on the regular season roster. The Cowboys opted not to add him to the practice squad, choosing instead to sign rookie quarterback Clayton Thorson.
- "University School QB Michael White wins state title, commits to USF". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "For USF QB Mike White, baseball can wait". tampabay.com. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Mike White wins USF Bulls' starting QB job". espn.com. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "USF Names Mike White Starting QB « CBS Tampa". tampa.cbslocal.com. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "South Florida Bulls QB Mike White granted release to transfer". espn.com. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Ex-USF QB Mike White tweets he'll transfer to Western Kentucky". CBSSports.com. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Redshirt junior White named WKU's starting QB | WKU Sports". bgdailynews.com. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "SN Exclusive: Mike White out to prove he belongs with college football's elite | NCAA Football". Sporting News. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Living and training in Florida, Mike White now preparing for NFL future". wbko.com. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Mike White NCAA FB Stats - Season & Career Statistics". FOX Sports. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- "White, Yelder, Johnson Invited to Senior All-Star Bowls". wkusports.com. November 30, 2017. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- "Mike White Shines Senior Bowl". wbko.com. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- "2018 draft: 7 prospects who helped themselves in Senior Bowl". NFL.com. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- Kyle, Harry (March 3, 2018). "NFL Combine results: Winners and losers from the QBs on the bench press, 40-yard dash, and other workouts". sbnation.com. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- Hickey, Kevin (April 11, 2018). "Colts hosted Western Kentucky QB Mike White on pre-draft visit". coltswire.usatoday.com. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- "Mike White, DS #8 QB, Western Kentucky". draftscout.com. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- "NFL Mike White -ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- "NFL Draft Profile: Mike White". National Football League. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- Sessler, Marc (April 28, 2018). "Dallas Cowboys use fifth-round pick on QB Mike White". NFL.com.
- "Iyiebuniwe and White selected in 2018 NFL Draft". wkusports.com. Retrieved August 25, 2018.
- "Spotrac.com: Mike White contract". spotrac.com. Retrieved August 25, 2018.