Mike Warren (mayor)
Michael Calvert Warren (born 1964) is a Pitcairnese politician, who served as Mayor of the Pitcairn Islands from 2008 to 2013.
|Mayor of the Pitcairn Islands|
1 January 2008 – 31 December 2013
|Preceded by||Jay Warren|
|Succeeded by||Shawn Christian|
|Born||1964 (age 54–55)|
In December 2010 Warren was charged with possessing indecent photos of children and possessing pornographic images, videos and documents involving children. Warren fought to have his case tried in Pitcairn; Crown prosecutors sought to try him in New Zealand. His application was rejected in a hearing held in May 2012, whilst still in office
In 2016 Warren was found guilty of downloading more than 1000 images and videos of child sexual abuse. During the time he downloaded the images he was working in child protection. Warren began downloading the images after six male residents on the island, including the then mayor, were found guilty during the Pitcairn sexual assault trial of 2004. Warren was also convicted of engaging in a "sex chat" with someone who he believed was a 15-year-old girl.
- "Pitcairn mayor on child porn charges". smh.com.au. 4 December 2010. Retrieved 4 December 2010.
- "Pitcairn hearing adjourned because of technical glitches". 12 December 2011. Archived from the original on 2013-12-24. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "PISC 1" (PDF). Pitcairn Island Government. 12 October 2012. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2013-08-13. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- Roy, Eleanor Ainge (7 March 2016). "Former Pitcairn mayor found guilty over child abuse images". Archived from the original on 2017-05-17. Retrieved 17 November 2017 – via www.theguardian.com.
- "Privy Council turns down ex-Pitcairn mayor's appeal". RNZ News. 31 July 2018.
|This article about a Pitcairn Islands politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|