Michael Jamaine Rumph (born November 8, 1979) is an American retired American football free safety and cornerback. He is currently the cornerbacks coach of the University of Miami Hurricanes football team.
|Miami Hurricanes football|
|Born:||November 8, 1979|
Delray Beach, Florida
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||205 lb (93 kg)|
|High school:||Delray Beach (FL) Atlantic|
|NFL Draft:||2002 / Round: 1 / Pick: 27|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Rumph attended Atlantic Community High School in Delray Beach, Florida. He was among the SuperPrep National Top 50 players and was a SuperPrep All-American. As a senior, he gained 519 yards rushing and receiving with five touchdowns and totaled 108 tackles and snagged six interceptions for 172 yards.
University of MiamiEdit
Rumph was a quiet but productive player during his career at the University of Miami which culminated with a national championship in his senior year. Rumph compiled 117 tackles (117 solo), 2 forced fumbles, and 6 interceptions (returning one for a touchdown) during his time at Miami. He was a second team Big East selection his sophomore and senior years and a first team selection his junior year.
San Francisco 49ersEdit
Rumph was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the 1st round of the 2002 NFL Draft, with the 27th overall selection. He was originally a cornerback, but the 49ers switched him to safety due to a combination of his strong tackling ability and poor man-to-man coverage skills. He missed large parts of the 2004 and 2005 seasons due to injuries.
St. Louis RamsEdit
Mike Rumph was signed to the St. Louis Rams on March 20, 2007, but was released on August 3, 2007. He retired in July 2008.
In 2010, Rumph became an assistant coach for the Miramar Everglades, and then, for a brief time served as coach at the Miami Carol City Senior High School. Following that, he served as head coach of the American Heritage High School's varsity football team in Plantation, Florida until 2015. Prior to his departure from AHHS, Rumph had substituted a former Miami Dolphins player and coach Jeff Dellenbach in 2013. Afterward, he accepted a job on Mark Richt's staff at the University of Miami as the cornerbacks coach.
He and his wife Victoria used to operate a puppy store in Southern Florida, until she died, leaving him one-on-one with son Mike.
- "Mike Rumph". Miami Hurricanes. Retrieved July 20, 2019.
- "Former Hurricane Rumph To Retire". WPLG. Archived from the original on June 5, 2011.
- Christy Cabrera Chirinos (January 20, 2016). "For Mike Rumph, helping 'Canes get back on track a personal mission". Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved July 20, 2019.
- Andre C. Fernandez a; Susan Miller Degnan (January 4, 2016). "Mike Rumph, two others hired as part of new Miami Hurricanes coaching staff under Mark Richt". Miami Herald. Retrieved July 20, 2019.
- Hal Habib (August 26, 2016). "Former Hurricane Rumph welcomes return home to coach UM cornerbacks". The Palm Beach Post. Retrieved July 20, 2019.