Mike Jones (referee)
|Full name||Michael J. Jones|
18 April 1968|
|1997–2018||The Football League||Referee|
He began refereeing in the Football League in 1997 and was promoted in 2008 to the list of Select Group Referees who officiate all Premier League fixtures. In 2009, he refereed the FA Trophy final at Wembley Stadium.
His first game at Wembley Stadium was also in 2007: the Football League Two play-off final which saw Bristol Rovers defeat Shrewsbury Town 3–1. Jones dismissed Shrewsbury's Marc Tierney in the last minute for a second bookable offence: Tierney became the second man to be sent off at the new Wembley.
In October 2009 Jones allowed a bizarre goal scored by Darren Bent for Sunderland against Liverpool, when his shot took a deflection off a beach ball which had been thrown onto the pitch by a fan in the Liverpool supporters' section. He was subsequently demoted for one week to officiate a match in the Football League Championship. The beach ball from the incident was sent for display at England's National Football Museum in Manchester.
In the final moments of a 2013 Premier League game between Norwich City and Cardiff City, Cardiff's goalkeeper David Marshall put the ball out of play to allow Norwich's Alexander Tettey to receive treatment from a physio. Ricky van Wolfswinkel took the subsequent throw for Norwich and his teammate Leroy Fer tapped the ball into the net as Marshall looked on. The goal was disallowed by Jones who stated he had not blown his whistle to restart play. Cardiff's manager Malky Mackay praised the official's decision.
Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher told Sky Sports Jones refereed his final game on Saturday May 5, 2018 due to retirement. The match at The Hawthorns saw West Bromwich Albion beat Tottenham Hotspur 1-0.
|Season||Games||Total||per game||Total||per game|
Statistics are for all competitions. There are no available records prior to 1997/98.
- "Benitez shrugs off bizarre goal". BBC Sport. 17 October 2009. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "'Beach ball goal' referee demoted to Championship but match will not be replayed". Metro. dmg media. 19 October 2009. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "Phil Dowd to referee FA Cup final". The Daily Telegraph. London. 17 April 2012. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- Aizlewood, John (27 October 2013). "Norwich City 0 Cardiff City 0: 'Goal' sparks 18-man brawl". The Sunday Times. Times Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Retiring officials". s8.zetaboards.com. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Games refereed by M J Jones". SoccerBase. Racing Post. Retrieved 4 November 2012.