Microsoft Safety Scanner
Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free [clarify] virus scanner similar to Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool that can be used to scan a system for computer viruses and other forms of malware. This program was released on 15 April 2011, following the discontinuation of Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner.
|Initial release||12 April 2011|
|Operating system||Windows 7; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP|
|Platform||IA-32 and x86-64[a]|
|Size||154MiB (32-bit); 157MiB (64-bit)|
|Available in||56[b] languages|
|License||Freeware, only for development and test purposes|
Microsoft Safety Scanner is not meant to be used as a day-to-day tool, since it does not provide real-time protection against viruses, cannot update its virus definitions and expires after ten days. On the other hand, it can be run on a computer which already has an antivirus product without any potential interference. Therefore, it can be used to scan a computer where there is a potential infection and the user wants a second check from another antivirus. It uses the same detection engine and malware definitions that Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection use.
|“||1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. You may install and use one copy of the software on your device to design, develop and test your programs.||”|
- To see all supported platforms, click "Select your version", located beneath "Download Now" button.
- To see all languages, see the drop-down box at the top right corner.
- "System Requirements". Microsoft Safety Scanner website. Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved 22 April 2011.
- "Microsoft Safety Scanner". Microsoft Safety Scanner website. Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Microsoft Software License Terms Microsoft Safety Scanner 1.0". Microsoft Safety Scanner website. Microsoft Corporation. Archived from the original on 22 April 2011. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner finally discontinued". LiveSide.Net. 15 April 2011. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- Nick Peers, Nick (16 April 2011). "Microsoft Safety Scanner (64-bit version) 1.0.3001.0". PC Advisor. IDG. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "Presenting... the Microsoft Safety Scanner". Microsoft Malware Protection Center. Microsoft Corporation. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- Introducing Microsoft Antimalware Technologies. Microsoft Corporation. 22 June 2010. p. 9. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- "Anti-virus to go: Microsoft makes portable anti-virus tool available to download". The H Security. Heise Media UK Ltd. 19 April 2011. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- Peers, Nick (17 April 2011). "Microsoft Safety Scanner detects and removes threats without installation". PC & Tech Authority. Haymarket Media. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- Brinkmann, Martin (14 April 2011). "Microsoft Safety Scanner, Free On-Demand Virus Scanner". ghacks.net. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- Kumar, Sandeep (4 December 2011). "A Portable Virus Scanner and Removal Tool from Microsoft". techvigil.com. Retrieved 4 December 2011.