Heinz Heise is a publishing house based in Hanover, Germany. Its focus is PC-oriented publications such as c't, iX and heise.de, as well as corresponding online services published by its UK-based subsidiary Heise Media UK Ltd.
|Founded||19 June 1949|
|Christian Heise; Ansgar Heise|
|Products||magazines and telephone books|
Number of employees
Heise was created by Heinz Heise in Hanover in 1949 as an address and telephone directory publisher, then later expanded to include magazines and loose leaf collections. In 2001, the company was divided into separate enterprises, all of which came under the umbrella of their parent company, the Heise Media Group. Their turnover was in 2008 at 108.7 million euro.
In July 2006, Heise Security was launched in the UK. It mostly featured translated news from the German site, but also featured locally relevant stories. The UK version of Heise Online was released in February 2008. In February 2009, the UK site was renamed to The H, and located at
h-online.com. In July 2013, The H was closed due to difficulties in monetizing traffic to the website. The archive was taken down and the website redirected to heise.de in January 2014.
Heise publishes the magazines:
- c't (the computer magazine with the highest number of subscribers in Europe);
- iX (focusing on topics for IT professionals);
- The German edition of Make: (Do It Yourself magazine, independent from but cooperating with Make:)
- Mac & i (magazine focused on products by Apple and usable with Apple devices.)
- the German edition of Technology Review; and,
- the online magazine Telepolis.
These publications feed into the Heise News Ticker, which ranks among the most successful German language news portals which includes a frequented user forum. The company also owns Heise Online (
heise.de), which, as of December 2009, is one of the top 1000 websites in the world, and one of the top 50 sites in Germany according to Alexa traffic rankings.
In the UK, Heise had a subsidiary Heise Media UK Ltd., which published The H (
h-online.com) with the following channels:
- The H - Open (
- The H - Security (
- The H - Developer (
- The H - Downloads (
- The H - Price Insight (
The H was closed down in July 2013 for lack of a "working business model". 
- "Heise Medien Gruppe" (PDF). Heise Medien Gruppe GmbH & Co. KG. p. 8. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2010-02-15. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- Schmidt, Juergen (2006-07-03), heise Security ab sofort auch in Großbritannien (in German), heise Security, retrieved 2017-02-21
- Welcome to The H: Regular readers may have noticed a big change on the site. We'd like to welcome to you to The H., The H online, 2009-02-17, archived from the original on 16 October 2009, retrieved 2013-01-29
- The H is closing down, The H online, 2013-07-19, archived from the original on 19 July 2013, retrieved 2013-07-19
- "Reichweite heise online und Mitbewerber 2005-06" (PDF) (in German). Heinz Heise (rate card). 2006. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2007-03-09. Retrieved 2017-02-21.
- "heise.de". Alexa. 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
Global Rank 778 / Rank in Germany 24
- "The H is closing down". The H. 2013. Retrieved 2014-05-26.
Although The H has produced many widely read stories, it has not been possible to effectively monetise that traffic to produce a working business model. Because of this, after four and a half years as The H and six years online, The H is, sadly, closing its doors.
- English sites
- German sites