Michael Spyres was born in 1980 in Missouri, USA, and studied singing at the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna, Austria. He won acclaim and international recognition for his performance in the title role of Rossini's Otello at the Rossini in Wildbad festival in Germany in 2008. He made his debut at La Scala, Milan, in Rossini's Il viaggio a Reims in 2009  and appeared the same year in the extremely demanding leading role of Raoul in Meyerbeer's Les Huguenots at Bard SummerScape in New York. Since then, his career has taken him to the Royal Opera House, London,in the title role of Mozart's Mitridate, Re di Ponto, to the Teatro Comunale, Bologna and La Monnaie, Brussels as Arnold in Rossini's Guillaume Tell., to Opéra National de Bordeaux for the title role in Berlioz' La Damnation de Faust and to the Liceu, Barcelona, in the title role of Jacques Offenbach's Les Contes d'Hoffmann, among many other engagements both in concerts and staged operas. Spyres won widespread praise for his performance of the role of Vasco da Gama in Meyerbeer's L'Africaine at the Oper Frankfurt in 2018. He sang the title role in a new production of Adolphe Adam's Le postillon de Lonjumeau at the Opéra-Comique in Paris in March 2019. Spyres made his debut at the Metropolitan Opera, New York in the title role of La damnation de Faust in 2020.
Michael Spyres is the artistic director of Springfield Regional Opera, USA.
- "Michael Spyres — People — Royal Opera House". www.roh.org.uk. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- International, MusicWeb. "ROSSINI Otello - NAXOS 8.660275-76 [RH]: Classical Music Reviews - June 2010 MusicWeb-International". www.musicweb-international.com. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "Opera Today : Les Huguenots at Bard SummerScape 2009". www.operatoday.com. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "Guillaume Tell, Rossini. Brussels". Opera World (in Spanish). 12 March 2014. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "La Damnation de Faust à l'Auditorium de Bordeaux – Un sauveur nommé Spyres - Compte-rendu". Concertclassic (in French). 23 February 2015. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "Les Contes d'Hoffmann (Michael Spyres - Liceu) - Jacques Offenbach - Critique DVD". Tutti-magazine (in French).
- "BIO". Michael Spyres - Tenor.
- "Meyerbeers Oper L`Africaine in Frankfurt - Faust Kultur". faustkultur.de (in German).
- Brodie, Susan. "Old French Delight Is Polished Anew By Opéra Comique | Classical Voice North America". Classical Voice North America. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Metropolitan Opera Association". archives.metoperafamily.org. Retrieved 4 February 2020.
- "Recordings". Michael Spyres - Tenor.
- "Artistic". SPRINGFIELD REGIONAL OPERA. Retrieved 2 November 2018.