Michèle Audin is a French mathematician, writer, and a former professor. She has worked as a professor at the University of Geneva, the University of Paris-Sud and most recently at l'Institut de recherche mathématique avancée (IRMA) in University of Strasbourg, where she performed research notably in the area of symplectic geometry.
Born in 1954, Audin is a former student of l'École normale supérieure de jeunes filles within the École Normale Supérieure. She earned a Ph.D. degree in 1984 from the University of Paris-Sud, with a thesis written under the supervision of François Latour. She became a member of the Oulipo in 2009.
Audin is the daughter of mathematician Maurice Audin, who died under torture in 1957 in Algeria, after having been arrested by parachutists of General Jacques Massu. On January 1, 2009, she refused to receive the Legion of Honour, on the grounds that the President of France, Nicolas Sarkozy, had refused to respond to a letter written by her mother regarding the disappearance of her father. Finally in September 2018, French president Emmanuel Macron admitted that Maurice Audin was tortured to death and apologized on behalf of France.
- (in French) La formule de Stokes, roman, Cassini, 2016.
- (in French) Mademoiselle Haas, Gallimard, 2016.
- (in French) Cent vingt et un jours, Gallimard, 2014. Translated into English by Christiana Hills as One Hundred Twenty-One Days, Deep Vellum, 2016.
- (in French) Une vie brève, Gallimard, 2013.
- (in French) Correspondance entre Henri Cartan et André Weil (1928-1991), Documents Mathématiques 6, Société Mathématique de France, 2011.
- (in French) Une histoire de Jacques Feldbau, Société mathématique de France, collection T, 2010.
- (in French) Fatou, Julia, Montel, le Grand Prix des sciences mathématiques de 1918, et après, Springer, 2009
- (in French) Souvenirs sur Sofia Kovalevskaya, Calvage et Mounet, 2008.
- (in French) Géométrie, EDP-Sciences, 2005.
- Hamiltonian systems and their integrability, Translated from the 2001 French original by Anna Pierrehumbert. Translation edited by Donald Babbitt. SMF/AMS Texts and Monographs, vol. 15. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI; Société mathématique de France, Paris, 2008. ISBN 978-0-8218-4413-7, MR2440371
- The topology of torus actions on symplectic manifolds, Progress in Mathematics, vol. 93, Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel, 1991. ISBN 3-7643-2602-6, MR1106194
- Michèle Audin at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Page about Michèle Audin on the Website of l'IRMA
- Page about Michèle Audin on the official Website of l'Oulipo
- Michèle Audin, Publier sous l’Occupation. Autour du cas de Jacques Feldbau et de l’académie des sciences
- Michèle Audin, La vérité sur la Poldévie
- Michèle Audin, Carrés imparfaits
- All articles written by Michèle Audin are in Images des Mathématiques