Mia Mulder (born 24 April 1993) is a Swedish politician and YouTuber. Mulder’s YouTube channel focuses on general historical, social and political topics and on trans rights. By April 2022, Mulder's YouTube channel had passed 100,000 subscribers, earning the silver play button. Since September 2022, she has served on the city council in Sollentuna, representing the Left Party.
|Sollentuna City Councillor|
|Assumed office |
|Born||24 April 1993|
|Political party||Left Party|
|Residence(s)||Edsberg, Sollentuna, Sweden|
Last updated: 21 October 2023
Early life edit
Mulder was raised in Sandhult, Sweden. She studied history at Uppsala University, specialising in queer history, late 19th century German political history, and medical history dating back to 1750 and wrote a thesis on the history of compulsory sterilisation of transgender people in Sweden between 1972 and 2012. She has also studied acting.
In the summer of 2016 Mulder founded and chaired Transförsvaret (Trans Defence), an activist group for the promotion of trans rights in Sweden with a focus on healthcare. The group published thirteen demands for better medical and legal treatment of transgender and intersex people in Sweden, as well as for other LGBT people and for refugees.
In November 2016, a group of more than 60 Transförsvaret activists staged an occupation of the offices of Sweden's National Board of Health and Welfare demanding the end to their classification of transgender people as mentally ill. The activists attempted to hold discussions with the Board's staff and remained in the offices for seven hours until end of the working day when they were escorted out by the police. Writing in Stockholms Fria Tidning Mulder said that the protest had attracted support from several other organisations but expressed frustration with the lack of change and reaffirmed her belief in the necessity of civil disobedience. In January 2017 the group held a protest outside Sweden's Ministry of Health and Social Affairs but were prevented from entering by the police.
Mulder makes video essays on a range of social and political issues from a historical perspective; many, but not all, relate to transgender rights issues. Interviewed by Dagens Nyheter, she describes a great need for accessible coverage of humanities topics.
Mulder has become the most popular Swedish left wing YouTuber and is often classified with the "BreadTube" or "LeftTube" label. She is ambivalent about this classification, expressing kinship with some of the other "BreadTube" channel creators while lampooning the idea of "BreadTube" itself. Mulder's videos are all in English and are more popular in the US, UK and Germany than in Sweden, where video essays are not widely popular.
Interviewed following Lindsay Ellis's retirement from YouTube content creation, Mulder spoke about her attempts to avoid internet "drama", saying that she had to filter out transphobic comments made on her videos.
Other activities edit
Personal life edit
- "About Mia Mulder". YouTube.
- @Potatopolitics (4 April 2022). "Hell yes. Thank you to everyone who has liked my videos..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "@Potatopolitics" (Mia Mulder) on Twitter
- "Hon håller kulturvänsterns fana högt på Youtube". DN.SE. 18 January 2022.
- "De ockuperade Socialstyrelsen". Syre. 27 April 2017.
- https://se.linkedin.com/in/mia-mulder-50185665[self-published source]
- Mulder, Mia (11 March 2016). Varför krav för alla alltid? : En analys av motiveringen bakom tvångssteriliseringen av transpersoner 1972-2012 – via uu.diva-portal.org.
- "Mia Mulder: Actor, Extra and Model - Sweden". StarNow.
- "Återkomsten". 30 November 2016.
- @Potatopolitics (21 January 2019). "Some pictures from my modeling and acting days which: are good" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Beauty Is A Scam | Mia Mulder" – via www.youtube.com.
- "Transförsvaret pressar politikerna". www.aftonbladet.se.
- "The Swedish Government Still Thinks Being Trans Is the Same as Being Mentally Ill". www.vice.com.
- "@transforsvaret" on Twitter
- "Transförsvaret". 9 August 2018. Archived from the original on 9 August 2018.
- Edfeldt/SVT, Foto: Lizette. "Socialstyrelsen ockuperat igen". QX.se.
- "Här ockuperar 70 transaktivister Socialstyrelsen – "Vi stannar tills vi blir utdragna"". www.mitti.se. 21 November 2016.
- "När etablerad aktivism ignoreras krävs civil olydnad". Fria.Nu. 25 November 2016.
- "Kandidater 2022". Vänsterpartiet Sollentuna.
- "The Definitive Video Essay on Bread Tube | Mia Mulder" – via www.youtube.com.
- "LeechFest". Listen Notes. 17 April 2023.
- "MiaMulder - Twitch" – via www.twitch.tv.
- @Potatopolitics (7 June 2020). "Oh right, I forgot to be bisexual. I am bisexual" (Tweet) – via Twitter.