Meysey Hampton (also known as Maisey Hampton or Maiseyhampton) is a village and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England, approximately 30 miles (48 km) to the south-east of Gloucester. It lies in the south of the Cotswolds, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
|Population||566 (2011 census)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Meysey Hampton was listed as Hantone in the Domesday Book of 1086, derived from the Old English hām-tūn meaning "home farm" or "homestead". It was recorded in 1287 as Meseishampton, this alteration showing the influence of a local family called de Meisi. By 1868, it was known as Meysey Hampton, with an alternative spelling of Maisey Hampton.
Meysey Hampton has a seven-member parish council. The village is part of the Hampton Ward of the district of Cotswold and is currently represented by Councillor David Fowles, a member of the Conservative Party. Meysey Hampton is part of the constituency of Cotswold, represented at parliament by Conservative MP Geoffrey Clifton-Brown. It is part of the South West England constituency of the European Parliament.
Meysey Hampton lies in the southern part of the Cotswolds, a range of hills designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Close to the border with Wiltshire, it is approximately 30 miles (48 km) south-east of Gloucester. Situated on the A417, it is about 6 miles (10 km) east of Cirencester and 2 miles (3.5 km) west of Fairford. Villages nearby include Poulton, Ampney St. Peter, Ampney St. Mary, Down Ampney, Marston Meysey, Totterdown and Honeycombe Leaze.
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- University of Portsmouth. "Meysey Hampton AP/CP Gloucestershire Through Time". A Vision of Britain Through Time. Archived from the original on 15 June 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Meysey Hampton". Domesday Book. The National Archives. 1086. Retrieved 9 May 2008.
- Mills, A. D. (1998). Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford University Press. p. 163. ISBN 0-19-280074-4.
- "Extract From National Gazetteer, 1868". GENUKI. Retrieved 26 April 2008.
- "Welcome to Meysey Hampton". thelocalchannel.co.uk. Retrieved 26 April 2008.
- "Meysey Hampton Parish Council". Gloucestershire County Council. 3 April 2008. Retrieved 26 April 2008.
- "Member's Details — Mr David Fowles". Cotswold District Council. Archived from the original on 15 September 2007. Retrieved 26 April 2008.
- "Cotswold — Constituency — Conservative Party". Conservative Party. Archived from the original on 17 October 2006. Retrieved 26 April 2008.
- "Meysey Hampton Church of England Primary School". Department for Children, Schools and Families. 2007. Archived from the original on 12 August 2011. Retrieved 26 April 2008.
- Hall, Michael (1993). Stratford-Upon-Avon and the Cotswolds. The Pevensey Press. p. 87. ISBN 0-907115-68-3.
- Rosewell, Roger (January 2007). "Loss, Discovery and Rescue: Medieval Glass from Meysey Hampton Church". Vidimus. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Meysey Hampton.|