Mean platelet volume
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mean platelet volume (MPV) is a machine-calculated measurement of the average size of platelets found in blood and is typically included in blood tests as part of the CBC. Since the average platelet size is larger when the body is producing increased numbers of platelets, the MPV test results can be used to make inferences about platelet production in bone marrow or platelet destruction problems.
MPV is higher when there is destruction of platelets. This may be seen in inflammatory bowel disease, immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), myeloproliferative diseases and Bernard-Soulier syndrome. It may also be related to pre-eclampsia, and recovery from transient hypoplasia.
Abnormally low MPV values correlate with thrombocytopenia when it is due to impaired production as in aplastic anemia. In addition, low MPV can correlate with abnormally small platelet size, sometimes a symptom of a spectrum referred to as Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome (WAS), caused by a genetic mutation of the WAS gene.
Conditions associated with altered MPVEdit
- Cytotoxic Chemotherapy
- Reactive Thrombocytosis
- Iron Deficiency Anemia
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome
- X-Linked Thrombocytopenia
- Immune Thrombocytopenia
- Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation
- Myeloproliferative Disorders
- Administration of Erythropoietin / Thrombopoietin
- Recovery from transient hypoplasia
- Gray Platelet syndrome
- GATA-1 mutation
- vWD Type 2B
- Platelet Type vWD
- Paris-Trousseau Syndrome
- Mediterranean Macrothrombocytopenia
- Bernard-Soulier Syndrome
- MYH9-related disorders
- 21q11 deletion syndrome
- Acute & Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
- Megaloblastic Anemia
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Chronic Renal Failure
- Respiratory Diseases
- Thrombocytopenia secondary to Sepsis
- Myocardial Infarction
- Prosthetic Heart Valves
- Massive Hemorrhage
Inherited Thrombocytopenia with Normal MPVEdit
- , Lab Tests Online.
- Liu, S; Ren, J; Han, G; Wang, G; Gu, G; Xia, Q; Li, J (Oct 12, 2012). "Mean platelet volume: a controversial marker of disease activity in Crohn's disease". European Journal of Medical Research. 17: 27. doi:10.1186/2047-783x-17-27. PMC . PMID 23058104.
- , Arch Pathol Lab Med. Vol 133, September 2009;1441-43..
- Immune Deficiency Foundation http://primaryimmune.org/about-primary-immunodeficiencies/specific-disease-types/wiskott-aldrich-syndrome. Missing or empty
- "CBC (Complete Blood Count), Blood". www.healthcare.uiowa.edu. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Bernard-Soulier Syndrome Workup: Approach Considerations". emedicine.staging.medscape.com. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- McClatchey, Kenneth D. (2002). Clinical Laboratory Medicine. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. ISBN 9780683307511.
-  Immune Deficiency Foundation entry for Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome
- MPV Definition
-  Medicinenet.com: Thrombocytopenia
-  Diabetesexplained.com: MPV
-  ahajournals.org: Article related to MPV
- Bessman, JD; Gilmer, PR; Gardner, FH. "Use of mean platelet volume improves detection of platelet disorders". Blood Cells. 11: 127–35. PMID 4074887.
-  Wisegeekcom: What is Mean Platelet Volume
-  Clinlabnavigator.com: MPV
|This article about a medical condition affecting the circulatory system is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|