McDade is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in northern Bastrop County, Texas, located along U.S. Route 290. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 685. It is 9 miles (14 km) east of Elgin and 34 miles (55 km) east of Austin. It is 21 miles (34 km) west of Giddings.
McDade Baptist Church
|• Total||4.0 sq mi (10 km2)|
|• Land||4.0 sq mi (10 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||551 ft (168 m)|
|• Density||170/sq mi (66/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1341178|
The community is named for James W. McDade, a major stockholder in the Houston and Texas Central Railroad in 1869.
The McDade Independent School District serves area students.
McDade was, for several years, the childhood home of 1950s television and recording star Gale Storm, as her mother owned a millinery shop in McDade.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: McDade
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): McDade CDP, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- "Population and Housing Unit Counts, 2010 Census of Population and Housing" (PDF). Texas: 2010. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "US Gazetteer Files 2016-Places-Texas". US Census. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
|This article about a location in Bastrop County, Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|