Maxwell Football Club
The Maxwell Football Club (originally called the Maxwell Football Club of Philadelphia) was established in 1935 to promote safety in the game of American football. Named in honor of Robert W. (Tiny) Maxwell, legendary college player, official, and sports columnist, the club was founded by his friend Bert Bell, then owner of the Philadelphia Eagles professional football team and later commissioner of the National Football League (NFL) along with Edwin Pollock. The awards are presented during the spring of the following year.
The club presents several awards annually to professional, college, and high-school football players, coaches, and others, including:
- Maxwell Award for College Player of the Year, first awarded in 1937
- Chuck Bednarik Award for College Defensive Player of the Year, instituted in 1995
- George Munger Award for College Coach of the Year, introduced in 1989
- Bert Bell Award for Professional Player of the Year, established following Bell's death in 1959
- Jim Henry Award for Area High-School Student-Athlete Football Player of the Year, instituted in 1986
- Earle "Greasy" Neale Award for Professional Coach of the Year, introduced in 1989
- Reds Bagnell Award for Contributions to the Game of Football, introduced in 1989
- Brian Westbrook Tri-State Player of the Year Award, first presented in 2001
- Tri-State Coach of the Year Award, established in 1998
- Tropicana Legends Award, established in 2003
- The Thomas Brookshier Spirit Award
- National High School Player Award, presented by adidas to the best high school football player in the United States, first awarded in 2007
- Steinberg-DeNicloa Humanitarian Award – Presented for philanthropic effort in the community
- "Maxwell winners". Philly.com. January 27, 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Minnick, Kevin (December 13, 2011). "Maxwell Club announces award winners". CourierPostOnline.com. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
49 winners of 2011 [New Jersey] Mini Max Award .... The Maxwell Football Club will select one player from the group as the winner of the New Jersey High School Player of the Year.... The winner of the New Jersey and Pennsylvania Players of the Year will be the candidates for the club's 27th Jim Henry Award as the Outstanding Player in the region.
- Heilig, John (January 19, 2012). "Nosovitch honored as best in state: Central Catholic quarterback wins Pennsylvania Player of the year award". The Morning Call. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
Brendan Nosovitch ... won the Maxwell Football Club's first Pennsylvania Player of the Year award. [He] ... was named over 60 other outstanding high school players who were honored with the club's [Pennsylvania] Mini Max awards