George Munger Award
The George Munger Award is presented to the NCAA Division I college football coach of the year by the Maxwell Football Club. The award was named after former University of Pennsylvania head coach George Munger. People who voted for the winners of the award included NCAA head coaches, members of the Maxwell Club, and sportswriters from all over the country.
|George Munger Award|
|Given for||College Coach of the Year|
|Presented by||Maxwell Football Club|
|Most recent||Jeff Monken|
In March 2010, the Maxwell Football Club announced that the award would be replaced by the Joseph V. Paterno Award. Following the breaking of the Penn State sex abuse scandal in November 2011, the club announced that the Paterno award would be discontinued. The Maxwell Club later returned Munger's name to the award.
In 2018, Army Coach Jeff Monken became the first coach from a non-major conference team to win the award since 2009 (TCU). He is the only coach to win the award with a team not currently in a Power 5 conference.
✝ The 1990, 1994, and 2005 awards had been given to Joe Paterno of Penn State, but the Maxwell Sports Club has rescinded the awards for those years and removed his name in the aftermath of the sexual abuse scandal at Penn State and Paterno's firing.
- "George Munger Award - College Coach of the Year".
- "Maxwell Football Club to Present Paterno National Coach of the Year in 2011". March 5, 2010. Retrieved August 11, 2010.
- Rittenberg, Adam (November 29, 2011). "Paterno coaching award discontinued". ESPN.com. Retrieved December 7, 2012.
- "George Munger Award - Winners". Retrieved September 3, 2018.
- Barnett, Zach (2014-12-22). "Mississippi State's Dan Mullen wins Maxwell Football Club's coaching award | CollegeFootballTalk". Collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "Announces Clemson's Dabo Swinney as Collegiate Coach of the Year". Maxwell Football Club. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "Announces Alabama's Nick Saban as Collegiate Coach of the Year". Maxwell Football Club. 2017-03-10. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "Maxwell Football Club Announces Army West Point's Jeff Monken as George Munger Collegiate Coach of the Year" (Press release). Maxwell Football Club. January 3, 2019. Retrieved January 3, 2019.
- "Maxwell Football Club's Professional Award Winners Announced" (Press release). tropicana.net. January 23, 2020. Retrieved February 7, 2020.
- Maxwell Football Club. "Past Recipients of the George Munger Award College Coach of the Year". Archived from the original on 2012-07-22.