Maurice Hugh Keen British historian specializing in the Middle Ages. His father had been the Oxford University head of finance ('Keeper of the University Chest') and a Fellow of Balliol College, Oxford, and after schooling at Winchester College, Maurice became an undergraduate there in 1954. He was a contemporary and lifelong friend of Tom Bingham, later the Senior Law Lord, as well as of the military historian, Sir John Keegan, whose sister Mary he married.(30 October 1933 – 11 September 2012) was a
|Born||Maurice Hugh Keen|
30 October 1933
London, United Kingdom
|Died||11 September 2012(aged 78)|
|Subject||Middle Ages |
Keen's first success came with the writing of The Outlaws of Medieval Legend while still a Junior Research Fellow at The Queen's College, Oxford, 1957–1961. He was elected a tutorial Fellow of Balliol in 1961, retaining his fellowship until his retirement in 2000, when he was elected a Fellow Emeritus. He also served as Junior Dean (1963–68), Tutor for Admissions (1974–1978), and Vice-Master (1980–83).
He was an enthusiastic governor of Blundell's School in Tiverton for many years, the school being linked to Balliol by a scholarship and fellowship foundation gift.
- (1965) The Laws of War in the Late Middle Ages, Routledge & K. Paul
- (1967) A History of Medieval Europe, Routledge Kegan & Paul, ISBN 0-7100-2899-7
- (1973) England in the Later Middle Ages, London: Methuen, ISBN 0-416-75990-4
- (1978) The Outlaws of Medieval Legend Univ of Toronto Press, ISBN 0-8020-1612-X
- (1984) Chivalry, USA: Yale University Press ISBN 0-300-03150-5
- (1986) Some Late Mediaeval Views on Nobility, University of London, ISBN 0-7187-0760-5
- (1996) Nobles, Knights and Men-at-arms in the Middle Ages, Hambledon Continuum, ISBN 1-85285-087-6
- (1999) Medieval Warfare: A History. Oxford University Press
- (2002) Origins of the English Gentleman, Stroud: Tempus, ISBN 0-7524-2558-7
- (2010) Chivalry, London : The Folio Society
- "Maurice Hugh KEEN Obituary: View Maurice KEEN's Obituary by The Times". Announcements.thetimes.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2020-04-06. Retrieved 2012-09-14.
- Paul Vitello: "Maurice H. Keen Dies at 78; Redefined Chivalry" The New York Times, September 25, 2012