Matthew Ben Mulligan (born January 18, 1985) is an American football tight end who is currently a free agent. He played college football at The University of Maine. Mulligan was signed by the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent in 2008. He has also been a member of the Tennessee Titans, New York Jets, St. Louis Rams, Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals, Buffalo Bills, and Detroit Lions.
Mulligan with the New York Jets in 2011
|Born:||January 18, 1985|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||267 lb (121 kg)|
|High school:||Penobscot Valley High School, Howland, Maine|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Mulligan was signed by the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent in 2008. He was released from the Dolphins on August 30 during final cuts. However, the Dolphins re-signed him to the practice squad the following day. Mulligan remained on the practice squad until his release on November 5.
Mulligan was signed to the practice squad of the Tennessee Titans on November 19, 2008. Following the season, he was re-signed to a future contract on January 12. The Titans waived him on September 4.
New York JetsEdit
Mulligan was claimed off waivers by the New York Jets on September 6, 2009. He was waived on September 23. He was re-signed to the practice squad on September 24. He was promoted to the active roster on December 2.
St. Louis RamsEdit
Green Bay PackersEdit
New England PatriotsEdit
On September 3, 2013, the New England Patriots signed Mulligan, but released him just two days later. The Patriots re-signed him on September 10. On September 29, 2013, he caught the last touchdown pass of Tom Brady's 52 straight games (two shy of the NFL record) with at least one passing touchdown.
Tennessee Titans (second stint)Edit
On December 16, 2014 Mulligan signed with the Tennessee Titans.
- "UMaine seniors showcase skills for NFL scouts — Sports — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine". Bangordailynews.com. Retrieved March 24, 2012.
- Wagoner, Nick (March 26, 2012). "Rams Sign Smith, Three More". St. Louis Rams. Archived from the original on March 27, 2012. Retrieved March 27, 2012.
- "Packers sign TE Mulligan". Packers.com. April 9, 2013. Retrieved November 18, 2016.
- "Packers release 22 players". Packers.com. August 31, 2013. Archived from the original on October 9, 2016. Retrieved November 18, 2016.
- Patriots release OL Braxston Cave and TE Matthew Mulligan
- Wilkening, Mike (April 8, 2014). "Bears reach deal with TE Matthew Mulligan". Profootballtalk.com. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- Campbell, Rich (September 15, 2014). "Bears promote cornerback Frey, returner Ross from practice squad". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- Alper, Josh. "Cardinals sign Matthew Mulligan, place Troy Niklas on injured reserve". Pro Football Talk. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Capaccio, Sal. "Bills sign TE Mulligan, release DB Noel". WGR550. Retrieved July 22, 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 10, 2015. Retrieved December 8, 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Lions sign free agents DE Wallace Gilberry and TE Matthew Mulligan". Detroit Lions. April 4, 2016. Archived from the original on April 7, 2016. Retrieved April 4, 2016.
- "Lions acquire G Brandon Thomas via trade with 49ers and announce additional roster moves". DetroitLions.com. Archived from the original on September 1, 2016. Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- "Lions sign TE Matthew Mulligan and acquire CB Johnthan Banks via trade". DetroitLions.com. November 1, 2016.