Matthew Bunson (born 1966) is an American author of more than fifty books, a historian, professor, editor, Roman Catholic theologian, Senior Contributor for EWTN, the Catholic multimedia network, Senior Fellow at the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology, and Faculty Chair at Catholic Distance University.
He is the author of the books Encyclopedia of the Roman Empire, Encyclopedia of American Catholic History, and Pope Francis, the first English-language biography of Pope Francis in 2013.
He is on the faculty of the Catholic Distance University where he teaches Church History, including Roman Catholic-Islamic relations and Medieval and American Catholic History, and Catholic Social Teaching.
He is a Senior Fellow of the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology.
Bunson is active in Catholic radio and hosts his own radio program, "Faithworks," for the Redeemer Radio network in Indiana, co-hosts EWTN's Register Radio. Bunson is a frequent guest on National Catholic radio programs, including Al Kresta, the Son Rise Morning Show, Drew Mariani, and Teresa Tomeo, and has appeared on the television networks Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, NBC News, CBS Radio, the BBC, and Channel 24 in Europe.
He served as the general editor of Our Sunday Visitor's Catholic Almanac and The Catholic Answer.
Bunson is married and lives in Washington, D.C. He is a member of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.
He is an author of more than 50 books, including:
- Encyclopedia of the Roman Empire
- The Encyclopedia of Catholic History
- The Encyclopedia of Saints
- All Shall Be Well
- Papal Wisdom
- The Pope Encyclopedia
- Encyclopedia of American Catholic History
- Angels A-Z, an Encyclopedia
- Pope Benedict XVI and the Sexual Abuse Crisis (co-author)
- We Have a Pope! Pope Benedict XVI
- Encyclopedia of the Middle Ages
- The Angelic Doctor
- Apostle of the Exiled: St. Damien of Molokai
- Saint Kateri Tekakwitha
- Encyclopedia of Sherlock Holmes
- The Agatha Christie Encyclopedia