Matthew George Reeves (born April 27, 1966) is an American screenwriter, director, and producer.
Reeves at the 2013 San Diego Comic-Con
Matthew George Reeves
April 27, 1966
|Alma mater||University of Southern California|
|Children||Andrew Alexander Reeves|
After several years working in film and television, Reeves made his cinematic directorial debut with The Pallbearer (1996), starring David Schwimmer, Gwyneth Paltrow and Toni Collette. He came to widespread attention with the mainstream hit Cloverfield (2008), going on to helm the romantic horror film Let Me In (2010), and the critically acclaimed science fiction sequels Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) and War for the Planet of the Apes (2017). In February 2017, Warner Bros. announced that Reeves will write and direct the superhero film The Batman, which is set in the DC Extended Universe.
Reeves was born in Rockville Centre, New York, and raised in Los Angeles, California. He began making movies at age eight, directing friends and using a wind-up camera. Reeves met and befriended filmmaker J.J. Abrams when both were 13 years old and a public-access television cable channel, Z Channel, was airing their short films. When Reeves and Abrams were about 15 years old, Steven Spielberg hired them to transfer some of his own Super 8 films to videotape.
Reeves attended the University of Southern California. There, between 1991 and 1992, he produced an award-winning student film, Mr. Petrified Forest, which helped him acquire an agent; he also co-wrote a script that eventually became Under Siege 2: Dark Territory. After graduating, he co-wrote Cloverfield which became his professional directorial debut.
Reeves and Abrams co-created the TV series Felicity, for which Reeves directed several episodes, including the pilot. Reeves has helmed occasional episodes of other television series, including Relativity and Homicide: Life on the Street, among others.
Reeves also wrote and directed Let Me In, a remake of the Swedish film Let the Right One In, which was released on October 1, 2010 by Overture Films. He was a special guest at the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con, promoting the film to attendees.
In 2012, it was announced that Reeves would direct a film based on the classic hit TV series The Twilight Zone. He said that the film will have one main story that could relate to the original series. The film was about to develop in summer 2013, but Reeves left the project in order to direct the science fiction film Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes, released in 2014. He returned to direct the third film in the series, War for the Planet of the Apes, which was released on July 14, 2017.
Since 2011, Reeves has been working on the script of 8 O'Clock in the Morning, a science fiction film based on the short story of same name written by Ray Nelson, previously adapted by John Carpenter as They Live. He will also direct the film and Universal Pictures will produce the film.
Reeves is married to Melinda Wang, a former animator. They have one son named Andrew Alexander Reeves.
|1993||Future Shock||Yes||Yes||No||Segment: "Mr. Petrified Forest"|
|1995||Under Siege 2: Dark Territory||No||Yes||No||Co-written with Richard Hatem|
|1996||The Pallbearer||Yes||Yes||No||Co-written with Jason Katims|
|2000||The Yards||No||Yes||No||Co-written with James Gray|
|2010||Let Me In||Yes||Yes||No|
|2014||Dawn of the Planet of the Apes||Yes||No||No|
|2016||10 Cloverfield Lane||No||No||Executive|
|2017||War for the Planet of the Apes||Yes||Yes||No||Co-written with Mark Bomback|
|2018||The Cloverfield Paradox||No||No||Executive|
|1997||Relativity||Yes||No||No||Episode "Billable Hours"|
|Homicide: Life on the Street||Yes||No||No||Episode "All is Right"|
|2000||Gideon's Crossing||Yes||No||No||Episode "The Gift"|
|1998–2002||Felicity||Yes||Yes||Yes||Co-creator and showrunner with J. J. Abrams|
|2006||Miracles||Yes||No||No||Episode "The Ferguson Syndrome"|
Critical, public and commercial reception to films Reeves has directed as of July 20, 2018.
|Film||Rotten Tomatoes||Metacritic||CinemaScore||Budget||Box office|
|The Pallbearer||45% (20 reviews)||N/A||N/A||$5 million||$7.65 million|
|Cloverfield||77% (204 reviews)||64 (37 reviews)||C||$25 million||$170.8 million|
|Let Me In||88% (226 reviews)||79 (35 reviews)||C+||$20 million||$24.1 million|
|Dawn of the Planet of the Apes||90% (288 reviews)||79 (48 reviews)||A-||$170 million||$710.6 million|
|War for the Planet of the Apes||93% (299 reviews)||82 (50 reviews)||A-||$150 million||$490.7 million|
- Jagernauth, Kevin (May 22, 2015). "Kathleen Kennedy's Great Story About How J.J. Abrams And Matt Reeves Met Steven Spielberg As Teenagers". indiewire.com. Retrieved February 11, 2017.
- Neil Daniels JJ Abrams - A Study in Genius: The Unofficial Biography, p. 54, at Google Books
- Campbell, Christopher (July 7, 2014). "Watch 'Mr. Petrified Forrest,' the Debut Film By 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' Helmer Matt Reeves". filmschoolrejects.com. Retrieved February 11, 2017.
- David Hofstede 5000 Episodes and No Commercials: The Ultimate Guide to TV Shows On DVD, p. 221, at Google Books
- "00's Retrospect: Horror Softens Up in 2008". Bloody-disgusting.com. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- "Matt Reeves Talks Cloverfield 2". Dreadcentral.com. March 13, 2010. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- "Matt Reeves Talks DayCation – Promises a Darker Experience". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- "'DayCation' Dark and More Thrilling Than 'Twilight'". Bloody-disgusting.com. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- "SD Comic-Com 2010: Let Me in Party for Clever Code Crackers". Dreadcentral.com. July 16, 2010. Retrieved October 13, 2010.
- "Sorry, Ya' Damned Dirty 'Apes,' Next Sequel Moved to 2017 - Bloody Disgusting!". January 6, 2015.
- "They Live Remake Isn't A Remake: Matt Reeves To Direct 8 O'Clock In The Morning". pajiba.com. April 12, 2011. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- Couch, Aaron (February 23, 2017). "'The Batman': Matt Reeves Closes Deal to Direct and Produce". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- McMillan, Graeme (August 24, 2017). "Yes, 'The Batman' Exists in the DC Extended Universe, Director Says". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (June 13, 2018). "Warner Bros. Shifts DC Strategy Amid Executive Change-Up". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- "Fox Animation Lands 'The Care And Feeding Of A Pet Black Hole' For Matt Reeves To Produce". Deadline. May 31, 2017. Retrieved June 1, 2017.
- Wolfe, Alexandra (July 3, 2014). "Director Matt Reeves on 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes'" – via www.wsj.com.
- "Matt Reeves". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "Matt Reeves". Metacritic. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "CinemaScore". cinemascore.com. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "Matt Reeves Movie Box office". boxofficemojo.com. Amazon.com. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- Rotten Tomatoes, "The Pallbearer (1996)". Accessed December 25, 2014.
- "The Pallbearer (1996) - Box Office Mojo". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 12, 2010.