Matić (Serbian Cyrillic: Матић, Serbo-Croatian pronunciation: [mǎːtitɕ]) is a common Croatian or Serbian surname. It is a patronymic name of Mate, the Croatian, or Matija, both Croatian and Serbian variants of the Latin name Mathaeus, English Matthew. According to Croatian-genealogy, the surname Matić is typically of Croat ethnicity, but it is carried by Serbian and Bosnian people as well.
Notable people with the name include:
- Bojan Matić (born 1991), Serbian footballer
- Darko Matić (born 1980), Bosnian-born Croatian footballer
- Dimitrije Matić (1821–1884), Serbian politician
- Dušan Matić (1898–1980), Serbian surrealist poet
- Igor Matić (born 1981), Serbian footballer
- Ivan Matić (born 1971), Croatian former footballer, now a manager
- Nemanja Matić (born 1988), Serbian footballer
- Peter Matić (1937–2019), Austrian actor and voice actor
- Saša Matić (born 1978), Bosnian Serb singer
- Stipe Matić (born 1979), Croatian footballer
- Uroš Matić (born 1990), Serbian footballer
- Veselin Matić (born 1960), Serbian basketball coach
- Zoran Matić (born 1944), Yugoslav football coach
- Lidija Sambunjak. "Most common Croatian surnames". Croatian genealogy web site. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
Sources: Petar Šimunović, Hrvatska prezimena, Golden Marketing-Tehnička knjiga, Zagreb, 2006; Enciklopedija hrvatskih prezimena, Nacionalni rodoslovni centar, 2008
- "Most frequent surnames, 2011 Census". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.